Showing Collections: 126 - 150 of 281
Abstract The Association of Faculty Women was composed of female employees of Wayne State University in instructional or administrative positions. Its stated purpose was "to encourage membership of qualified faculty women to appointive and elective positions and responsibilities in the University and in the community; to promote the educational and professional welfare of all women, both staff and students, on the University Campus; and to enrich the educational and professional interests of faculty...
Abstract The Wayne State University Audiology Records show the professional training program in speech pathology, audiology in the WSU School of Medicine from 1975 to 1990. The materials show the program's accreditation in the given years as well as its program development.
Abstract The Auxiliary Activities Office was created to improve the efficiency of the Business Affairs Division. As enrollment increased, demand upon the university’s administration increased. This office was composed of the following units: Mailroom, Duplicating Center, Addressograph, Student Center, Food Services, Housing, and Bookstore.
Abstract This series consists of the proceedings of the Wayne State University Board of Governors. Proceedings prior to 1996 are bound and indexed by year.
Abstract The collection reflects the activities of the Committee, and of the chairperson and the resulting changes in Wayne State University’s main and medical school campuses. The development of malls, art, and landscaping to harmonize the university’s old and new structures are documented.
Abstract The Wayne State University Centennial Commission was founded in 1964 to coordinate the events of the academic year 1967-1968, during which Wayne State University celebrated the hundredth anniversary of its founding. The co-chairs of the Centennial Commission were Vice President for University Relations George E. Gullen, Jr., and Professor of History Raymond C. Miller.
Abstract During the academic year 1967-1968 Wayne State University celebrated the hundredth anniversary of its founding. As part of the commemoration, the University sponsored a series of symposia of national significance under the theme, "The University and Urban Society."Broadly, the Symposia theme dealt with the urban university and its impact on, and responsibilities to, its urban community. More specifically, the focus of the Symposia was an examination of the problems and issues...
Abstract The Center for Application of Sciences and Technology (CAST) was organized in August, 1963 under the direction of Bruce W. Pinc. The Center was next governed by the Division of Urban Extension (DUE) which linked the teaching and research resources of the University and the community. CAST was given advice by the Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) and the University Advisory Council (UAC). The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) provided primary contract support, and the Michigan...
Abstract The Wayne State Center for Peace and Conflict Studies (CPCS) was formed in 1965 as the Center for Teaching About War and Peace, until 1987 when it was changed to its current moniker. The files mainly reflect the center's activities from 1960 to 2003.
Abstract The Chatsworth Tower Apartments were built in 1929. The nine-story building is nestled within Wayne State University’s campus at 630 Merrick Street. Once owned by Otto Wismer of Bondholders Management, Inc., the university attempted to purchase the building in 1951. Although the parties did not originally agree on the terms of sale, the university eventually purchased the building in 1961 for $900,000, while Bondholders Management, Inc. simultaneously made a $100,000 donation to Wayne...
Abstract The records of the College of Education’s Audio-Visual Consultation Bureau, directed by Arthur Stenius. The collection documents the Bureau’s production of educational movies and slide strips and accompanying printed material on a variety of subjects. It also reflects the use of visual material in classrooms as well as developments in teaching methodology in the 1950’s.
Abstract The College of Education Building Committee Records detail the planning and events involved in the construction of the College of Education Building at Wayne State University. The four-story building, designed by architect Minoru Yamasaki, was completed in 1961 and provided 96,000 square feet of space, which allowed the college to centralize its offices and classrooms.
Wayne State University College of Education, Dean’s Office: Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation Records
Abstract The Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation was created by the City of Detroit to comply with the ruling of Milliken v. Bradley, which dealt with desegregation busing. This United States Supreme Court ruling settled the issue of de jure vs. de facto segregation and effectively confirmed that segregation was allowed if it was not an explicit policy of the school district. As a result, the commission's charge was to oversee the busing plan across multiple school districts in...
Wayne State University College of Education Department of General Secondary Education Office of the Chairman Records
Abstract The College of Education has functioned continuously since 1881 as a teacher-education institution. It existed as an independent school until 1929, when it became a part of what is now called Wayne State University. It received authority in 1921 from the legislature of the State of Michigan to grant the bachelor’s degree and, in 1929, to grant higher degrees in conjunction with the Graduate Division of the University. The Chairman of General Secondary Education in the College of Education at...
Abstract G. Harold Silvius joined the faculty of the Wayne University College of Education in 1936, and was a professor of industrial education by 1941. From 1946 to 1971, Silvius served as chairman of the Industrial Education program, creating a nationally recognized program of industrial teacher education. Silvius was a member of Mu Sigma Pi, a graduate professional industrial education fraternity. He retired in 1975. Materials in this collection consist of reports, yearbooks, programs,...
Abstract The Wayne State University College of Education housed the Library Science Department until 1984, after which it was moved to the administration of the Dean of University Libraries. The name was then changed to the Library and Information Science Program in 1993, and in 2009 the Board of Governors created the School of Library and Information Science.
Abstract This collection consists of records generated by the Office of Admissions between 1958-1964, largely under the supervision of the College of Education’s Assistant Dean, Joseph E. Hill (1962-1964). During this period Hill served as chairman or member of numerous admissions committees, including the admissions advisory committee and various ad hoc committees on curriculum, instruction, admissions, student teaching, and college administrative problems.
Abstract This organization’s goal is to facilitate communication between the students and the faculty-administration within the College of Education. The Council coordinates activities and budgets for the multiple education clubs, and sends representatives to the Student-Faculty Council. Collection includes one account book.
Abstract The Teachers’ Corps was a national organization created in the 1960’s. Its goal was to remedy the teacher shortage in poorer school districts. The program was funded by the National Defense Education Act Institute.The Wayne State University program, sponsored by the College of Education, attempted to generate interest in the Detroit area inner city schools with the hope of recruitment. The interns selected for the WSU Teachers Corps were not required to have four-year degrees in education, only...
Abstract William Reitz was a professor in the College of Education from 1937 until his retirement in 1973. He specialized in evaluation and statistics and was an active advisor in the College. Reitz was involved in the creation of a doctoral program and was known for having the most successful Ph.D. candidates in the College of Education; he also served as an examiner for the National Teacher Examination implemented by the College of Education in 1946. Materials in the this collection consist of meeting...
Abstract The separate language courses in French, German, Italian, and Spanish were consolidated in 1963 into the Department of Romance and Germanic Languages and Literature with Professor V. Frederic Koenig as chair of the department.
Abstract The College of Liberal Arts Student-Faculty Board served as the student government of the College of Liberal Arts at Wayne State University. Consisting of 3 faculty members and 11 students, it first assumed authority on September 14, 1966, succeeding the College of Liberal Arts Student Activities Budget Committee, which was the former de facto student governing board for the College of Liberal Arts. The chief concerns of the Student-Faculty Board were the interests of the students within the...
Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts Health and Physical Education Department: George B. Sherman Records
Abstract George B. "Shorty" Sherman, served as WSU's athletic business manager from 1938-1972. During this time, Sherman also served in the capacity of sports information director from 1939-1946. In his 34 years of service to the University, Sherman performed hundreds of duties ranging from writing publicity releases and supervising the cheerleaders to lining the field and blowing up the football. Born in Boston in 1905, Sherman came to Detroit at the age of two. He graduated from Northern High School...
Abstract This collection contains the Department of Journalism general files, and the correspondence of W. Sprague Holden, from 1947-1974. The Journalism unit became independent of the Department of English in the fall of 1949, with Dr. Holden as its Department chair.
Abstract This collection contains publications of the Wayne State University College of Nursing. Included are newsletters produced for the alumni of the Wayne State University College of Nursing, newsletters of the College of Nursing Council, annual reports of the College of Nursing, and College of Nursing admissions pamphlets.
- Names: Wayne State University X
- Education 25
- Detroit (Mich.) 23
- Education, Higher 14
- Oral histories 9
- Transcripts 6
- Buildings--Detroit (Mich.) 5
- Teachers Training of 5
- Universities and colleges --Faculty 5
- Child care 4
- Civil rights 4
- College sports United States 4
- College students 4
- Community education 4
- Education, Preschool 4
- Family services 4
- Labor unions 4
- Newspapers 4
- Photographs 4
- Students--Societies, etc. 4
- Urban renewal 4
- Urban youth 4
- African Americans 3
- Alumni and alumnae 3
- Cass Corridor (Detroit, Mich.) 3
- Child therapy 3
- Community service 3
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1967 3
- Education, Urban 3
- Equality 3
- Historic preservation 3
- Labor 3
- Urban development 3
- World War, 1939-1945 3
- Adult Education 2
- Architecture 2
- Architecture--Michigan--Detroit. 2
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Centennial celebrations, etc. 2
- Child psychology 2
- City planning 2
- Communism 2
- Community activists 2
- Dance 2
- Dance -- Study and teaching 2
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government 2
- Detroit (Mich.)--Race relations 2
- Equal rights amendments 2
- Ethnic groups -- United States 2
- Home economics 2
- Housing 2
- Medical care 2
- Medical education 2
- Michigan 2
- Michigan -- Politics and government 2
- Music 2
- Peace movements 2
- Philosophy 2
- Rhythm and blues music 2
- Segregation 2
- Social workers 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Teacher educators 2
- Theater 2
- Urban universities and colleges--Michigan 2
- Women 2
- Women's rights 2
- Abortion 1
- Affirmative action 1
- Affirmative action programs 1
- Affirmative action programs -- United States 1
- African American arts 1
- African American athletes 1
- African American authors 1
- African Americans -- Medical care 1
- Agriculture 1
- Anti-racism 1
- Antinuclear movement 1
- Appalachians (People) 1
- Art--History 1
- Barrier-free design for students with disabilities 1
- Baseball 1
- Basketball 1
- Branding (Marketing) 1
- Charity 1
- Chatsworth Tower Apartments 1
- Child development 1
- Choreography 1
- Civic leaders 1
- Civil Service 1
- Civil rights--United States--Cases 1
- College campuses 1
- College students with disabilities 1
- Commencement Programs 1
- Community development 1
- Constitutional law 1
- Courts --United States 1
- Cross-country running 1
- Dance companies 1
- Deportation--United States 1
- Detroit (Mich.) Fire Department 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more