Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 47
Abstract The Association of Urban Universities was founded in 1914. The Association promoted the study of problems of particular interest to urban universities, including adult education, community service of an urban university, and university extension. Its principal activity was an annual Fall meeting. At these meetings, topics of particular concern to urban universities were discussed by the delegates and these discussions were published in the Proceedings following the meeting. The Association also...
Abstract Born in 1869 in Indiana, Charles Spain earned his degrees from University of Michigan, completing his Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1923. He began his education career in the public schools of Grand Rapids, serving as teacher and principal. He transferred to the Detroit Public School system in 1901 as vice principal of the Washington Normal School, and became principal in 1902. Promoted to supervisor of primary grades in 1906, Spain was responsible for curriculum reorganization and administration in...
Abstract Dr. Cornelius Golightly was an Associate Dean and professor at Wayne State University's Philosophy Department. Golightly's papers document his time at several institutions, his work in the philosophy field, as well as his involvement with several school boards, including Milwaukee and Detroit. This collection primarily contains draft manuscripts, classroom notes and instructions, correspondence, brochures, and acknowledgements. Additional materials include three folders of photographs and one...
Collection — Container: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 2, Folder: 1
Abstract Douglas Sherman taught industrial arts, becoming Assistant to the Provost at Wayne State University in 1958 and Director of Capital Programs in 1964. His papers represent the collective experiences at WSU of himself and William Keast, President of WSU, and contain a draft of the first five chapters of their book, "Physical Facilities in Higher Education."
Abstract Born in Lenawee County Michigan, Miss Downer first taught in rural schools. Downer attended Michigan State Normal College in Ypsilanti, earning her Teacher’s Certificate in 1913. She then taught in Ypsilanti until 1917, when she began teaching at the Harris School in Detroit. From the Harris School she transferred to the Marr Elementary School, a teacher training school affiliated with the Detroit Teachers College, where she taught elementary students and supervised student teachers. Named...
Abstract Elise Hatt Campbell was a staff member of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. During her tenure she conducted studies and wrote articles concerning childhood development and education, as well as taught courses at Wayne University. Campbell was also a consultant in the Detroit Council for Youth Service and Chairman of the Committee of the Detroit Council of Social Agencies. The papers of Elise Hatt Campbell reflect her work within the Merrill-Palmer Institute and as an instructor at Wayne University....
Abstract Harold Mack, M.D. was a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine, joining the faculty in 1931 and eventually becoming Chair. He retired Professor Emeritus in 1970. His papers primarily reflect his writings and achievements, as well as his involvement in the Detroit medical community.
Abstract Harrriette Bishop attended Detroit High School as a student and later taught mathematics there and at Central High School. Likewise, her daughter Helen Bishop, attended the same high school and taught at Central High. Their papers reflect their high school teaching careers, and, to a lesser degree, Helen's tenures at the College of the City of Detroit and Wayne University.
Abstract Dr. Harry J. Butler graduated from the Detroit College of Medicine in 1910 and passed the Michigan Board Exam the same year.
Abstract Louise Potter was part of the faculty of Central High School and Detroit Junior College from 1923-1924. Her papers document various activities and programs at these schools.
Abstract Professor Lynn H. Parsons taught American history at Wayne State University from 1965 until 1971. This collection consists of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, a legal brief and newspaper clippings related to his grievance with the Wayne State History Department over its refusal to recommend him for tenure. His case, along with faculty layoffs in 1972, helped to build support for collective bargaining at the University. The files are arranged chronologically.
Abstract Dr. Esther McGinnis was the Director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1947-1951. Prior to her appointment as Assistant Director in the 1930s, McGinnis was a professor of Family Life at the Child Welfare Institute at the University of Minnesota and at State Teaching College at Columbia University. Throughout her career at Merrill-Palmer she did consulting work for other universities as well as government committees. Dr. McGinnis' records span her career both before and during her time at...
Abstract Dr. Francis H. Palmer was president of Merrill-Palmer from 1978-1981, prior to which he worked at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. He received his education at the University of Pittsburg, published widely, mainly on preschool and early educational child development and was very active in the Headstart program. Palmer's records reflect his emphasis on the psychology of preschool and elementary age children and his direction of institutional focus to research.
Abstract J. William Rioux was the president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1967-1973, prior to which he worked for the U.S. Department of Education. He was a native of Detroit and received his Ed. D. at Wayne State University. During his time at Merrill-Palmer he worked to diversify the student body, establish a graduate degree program, work with urban youth, and bring more students into the program. He also emphasized dissemination and publication of research by Merrill-Palmer faculty and...
Abstract Dr. Michael D. Usdan was president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1974-1977. Educated at Brown University and Teachers College at Columbia University, Usdan worked as a professor at City University of New York before joining Merrill-Palmer. He published widely, writing mainly on educational politics. His records document his work on urban and lower income youth in the Detroit area, as well as research and conferences focusing on urban poor, parent-child relationships and the impact of...
Abstract Dr. Pauline Park Wilson Knapp was the president and director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1952-1967. Knapp received her B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Kentucky and M.A. and Ph. D in Psychology from Columbia University. She established the first Child Development Center in Georgia in 1928, was head of the Department of Family and Life at the University of Alabama from 1941-45 and the Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Georgia from 1946-52. In...
Abstract Mildred Jeffrey worked as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, as Educational Director of the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Shirt Workers, as a consultant to the War Labor Board, as Director of the United Auto Workers (UAW) Women’s Bureau, and as Director for UAW Community Relations and Consumer Affairs Departments. Ms. Jeffrey was also active in the Democratic Party and was a founding member and chair of the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) political arm, the...
Abstract The Murray E. Jackson papers document the life and work of an educator, administrator, civic leader, and poet, who lived from 1926-2002. A bulk of the materials range between the late 1960s and late 1990s. Included in this collection are records documenting his involvement at Wayne State University, Wayne County Community College, the University of Michigan, various community organizations, his career as a poet, as well as personal files.
Abstract Dr. Theodore D. Rice (1904-1989) was a Professor of Education at Wayne State University (WSU) for fifteen years, from 1957 to 1972. He specialized in secondary education.
Abstract Vergil Phelps was an instructor of rhetoric and English, College of the City of Detroit from 1924-1928, amid a long career as a lecturer and teacher. The papers of Phelps reflect his interests in the areas of effective communication in business, government, personal relationships and daily living.
Abstract The Association of Faculty Women was composed of female employees of Wayne State University in instructional or administrative positions. Its stated purpose was "to encourage membership of qualified faculty women to appointive and elective positions and responsibilities in the University and in the community; to promote the educational and professional welfare of all women, both staff and students, on the University Campus; and to enrich the educational and professional interests of faculty...
Abstract The Wayne State Center for Peace and Conflict Studies (CPCS) was formed in 1965 as the Center for Teaching About War and Peace, until 1987 when it was changed to its current moniker. The files mainly reflect the center's activities from 1960 to 2003.
Wayne State University College of Education, Dean’s Office: Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation Records
Abstract The Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation was created by the City of Detroit to comply with the ruling of Milliken v. Bradley, which dealt with desegregation busing. This United States Supreme Court ruling settled the issue of de jure vs. de facto segregation and effectively confirmed that segregation was allowed if it was not an explicit policy of the school district. As a result, the commission's charge was to oversee the busing plan across multiple school districts in...
Abstract This collection contains programs of the commencement ceremonies of Wayne State University and its predecessor institutions. Included are programs for the commencements of the Detroit College of Medicine (1892, 1895, 1902, 1905), the Detroit Teachers College (1921-1928), the College of the City of Detroit (1925-1933), the Municipal Colleges of Detroit (1929), the Detroit City Law School (1934-1936), Wayne University (1934-1956), the Wayne University College of Medicine (1943-1946), the Wayne...
Abstract These records of the WSU English Department represent material accrued in three accession dates: 1978, 1979, and 1988. The arrangement of folders reflects these different accessions, so that similar subjects may appear in multiple places in the collection. The records include deliberations of major committees on policy, personnel and curriculum, as well as student requirements and activities on the undergraduate and graduate level. With these records, researchers could track changes in...