Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts Health and Physical Education Department: George B. Sherman Records
Abstract George B. "Shorty" Sherman, served as WSU's athletic business manager from 1938-1972. During this time, Sherman also served in the capacity of sports information director from 1939-1946. In his 34 years of service to the University, Sherman performed hundreds of duties ranging from writing publicity releases and supervising the cheerleaders to lining the field and blowing up the football. Born in Boston in 1905, Sherman came to Detroit at the age of two. He graduated from Northern High School...
Abstract In October 1961, the University Office of Counseling for the Handicapped was established in the Division of Student Personnel, under the direction of Dr. William Knapp. Prior to the creation of this office, the work had been done by Miss Eleanor Bodewig, an academic advisor in the College of Liberal Arts. The purpose of this office was to guide Wayne State in the development and implementation of barrier free and handicap accessible accommodations, adaptive technologies, as well as...
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...