Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract Bernard J. (Bernie) Firestone (1935-1989) served as secretary-treasurer of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers (ACTWU) Chicago and Central States Joint Board, and as vice-president of the Metro Detroit American Federation of Labor-Council of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO). The papers of Mr. Firestone reflect his work as a labor activist and his involvement in community affairs.
Dates: 1950 - 1989
Abstract Edward Doree worked as an organizer for the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) and served as treasurer of the IWW General Defense Committee. As secretary-treasurer of Textile Workers Industrial Union 1000 (Philadelphia) Mr. Doree was arrested as part of the mass arrests of IWW workers for alleged violation of the Sedition Act of 1918. Mr. Doree’s papers relate to his imprisonment and efforts to obtain amnesty.
Dates: 1918 - 1922
Abstract Literary manuscripts and related papers, correspondence, daily notes and journals, reference and research material, notes, clippings, pamphlets, personal and family papers, and memorabilia, collected by Mrs. Vorse, writer, labor journalist, and social critic of the U.S. She also covered strikes, civil and labor disturbances, wars, revolutions, and political upheavals in other parts of the world. From the textile strike in Lawrence, Massachusetts (1912) to the textile strike in Henderson, North...
Dates: 1841 - 1966
Abstract Morris Riger served as a staff representative of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), as Assistant Regional Director, and later as Regional Director of the Textile Workers Union of America, as Director of Political Education for the American Federation of Labor-CIO, and held various positions in the U.S. Department of Labor. Mr. Riger was active in the civil rights movement and community affairs, serving in organizations such as the Ohio Advisory Committee to the United States...
Dates: 1936 - 1986
Collection — Box: Small Processed Collections: Br - Col, Box 2, Folder: 3-6
Scope and content The papers of Raphael and Olga Brown consist primarily of clippings, correspondence and committee minutes relating to their work as union organizers and the textile strikers of 1933-1934.
Dates: 1933 - 1935
Abstract In the 1970s, the Program on Women and Work, a unit of the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations (ILIR), a jointly administered body of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University, coordinated an oral history project to document the lives and work of women active in the labor movement from 1900 through 1970. Joyce L. Kornbluh of ILIR served as project director. Many interviewers conducted interviews with participants across the United State. This project, "The Twentieth...
Dates: 1971 - 1979; Majority of material found within 1975 - 1979
Abstract Valery Burati’s 50-year career in labor included union organizing for the New England Council of Industrial Organizations and the Textile Workers of America, and positions such as labor relations specialist for the U.S. government in Japan and the Philippines. The papers of Mr. Burati reflect his work in international labor, and highlight the influence of U.S. economic policy on postwar Japan, Asia, and Africa.
Dates: 1932 - 1976; Majority of material found within 1948 - 1971
Abstract Wesley Warren Cook became a member of the Textile Workers Union of America in 1937. He held two administrative positions within the union: Director of the Synthetic Yarn Division and Administrative Vice President of the Executive Council. His papers reflect the duties of these two positions.
Dates: 1941 - 1964
- Names: Textile Workers Union of America X
- Labor 2
- Labor movement 2
- Labor unions 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Child labor 1
- Civil rights 1
- Labor unions -- Organizing 1
- Mining engineering 1
- Oral histories 1
- Politics, Practical 1
- Social history 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Lawrence, Mass., 1912. 1
- Transcripts 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women labor union members -- United States 1 ∧ view less
- Industrial Workers of the World 3
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 2
- AFL-CIO 1
- American Federation of Labor 1
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- Brown, Olga Sacharoff 1
- Brown, Raphael 1
- Burati, Valery 1
- Communication Workers of America 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Cook, Rita 1
- Cook, Wesley Warren 1
- Doree, E. F. (Edward Frederick), 1889-1927 1
- Firestone, Bernard J. 1
- Hotel & Restaurant Employees and Bartenders International Union 1
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 1
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters 1
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union 1
- International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 163 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Kornbluh, Joyce L. 1
- Program on Women and Work 1
- Progressive Party (U.S. : 1948) 1
- Riger, Morris 1
- Service Employees International Union 1
- United Farm Workers 1
- United Steelworkers of America 1
- Vorse, Mary Heaton 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more