Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10

JCA: Adat Shalom Synagogue Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001692
Abstract Adat Shalom Synagogue was founded as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944. The Adat Shalom papers reflect the activities of the congregation and its member organizations. Included in the collection are the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal and the papers of the office of the congregation's Executive Director.

JCA: Benyas Photographic Negatives

 Collection
Identifier: UR001749
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...

JCA: Birmingham Temple Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001827
Abstract Birmingham Temple was founded by Rabbi Sherwin T. Wine and chartered in 1963. The temple's records reflect its activities and contain items relating to the Jewish community in metropolitan Detroit.

JCA: Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002790
Abstract Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. Through its fundraising efforts Hadassah supports local, charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel.

JCA: Hillel of Metro Detroit Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001815
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel; As of 2017 it is known as...

JCA: JARC Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001521
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.

JCA: Jewish Community Council Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001726
Abstract The Jewish Community Council was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The records of the Council document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as anti-Semitism, discrimination and the civil rights movement, church-state relations and education, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the...

JCA: Leonard N. Simons Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP001518
Abstract Leonard N. Simons (1904-1995) was a business man active in the Detroit secular and Jewish communities. His papers reflect his work with many civic and charitable organizations such Wayne State University, Wayne State University Press, Sinai Hospital of Detroit, the Detroit Historical Commission and the Detroit Historical Society. The papers also show his personal interests, such as travel and book collecting.

JCA: Sinai Hospital Guild Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001748
Abstract Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, established in 1952 by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until Sinai Hospital was closed in 2000.

JCA: Small Collections

 Collection
Identifier: UR001812
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...

Filtered By

  • Names: Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives X
  • Subject: Jews. American X

Filter Results