Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 3: O-Si, Folder: 10
Abstract Around or before 1977, Sidney Kelman interviewed labor organizer Paul Silver. Silver was active in the UAW, including serving as president of UAW Local 351 from 1946 to 1964 and an assignment to the International UAW staff. Collection consists of interview recording and transcript. Silver talks about his family background including his socialist upbringing and its importance to his later beliefs and actions, his organizing at Detroit Steel Products and elsewhere, founding and leadership of UAW...
Dates: circa 1977
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
Abstract In the fall of 1959, the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, a joint body of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University, formally began an oral history project on the "Development of Unionism in the Automobile Industry." The project's aims were to provide additional historical sources for scholars working on the history of auto unionism, to capture the recollections of those who played a key role in this story, and to discover additional archival materials on labor...
Dates: 1959 - 1963
- Automobile industry and trade 3
- Labor unions 3
- Sound recordings 3
- Labor movement 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- General Motors Corporation 2
- Chrysler Corporation 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations (University of Michigan--Wayne State University) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- Kelman, Sidney 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 1
- Savela, Edward 1
- Silver, Paul 1
- Skeels, Jack W. 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more