Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Abstract In 1985, an oral history was conducted with Blaine Marrin by an unidentified interviewer. Blaine Marrin was a former president of UAW Local 157 and an active UAW member since 1937. Collection consists of an audio recording of reminiscences by Marrin about his time with the UAW, as well as his prior experiences with the Mechanics Educational Society of America (MESA).
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
Abstract Between 1985 and 1998, the United Auto Workers and the Walter P. Reuther Library cooperated in a project to document the careers of members of the UAW International Executive Board and important events in the history of the union. Collection consists of audio recordings, some video recordings, transcripts for 18 interviews, and a metal die of the UAW logo created for printing the transcripts. Past and current IEB members discuss their backgrounds; entry into the labor movement; early careers;...
Dates: 1985-04-30 - 1997-07-28
Abstract In the fall of 1959, the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, a joint body of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University, formally began an oral history project on the "Development of Unionism in the Automobile Industry." The project's aims were to provide additional historical sources for scholars working on the history of auto unionism, to capture the recollections of those who played a key role in this story, and to discover additional archival materials on labor...
Dates: 1959 - 1963
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 3: O-Si, Folder: 8
Abstract In 1980, R. T. King interviewed labor leader Victor Reuther as part of the Indiana University Oral History Project on the Indiana economy in the twentieth century. Collection consists of a transcript. Reuther discusses UAW organizing activity in Indiana in 1937, which involved a sit-down strike at the General Motors Guide Lamp Division in Anderson.
- Labor unions 5
- Transcripts 5
- Sound recordings 4
- Automobile industry workers 3
- Strikes and lockouts 3
- Anderson (Ind.) 1
- Automation 1
- Labor leaders -- United States 1
- Labor movement 1
- Labor unions -- Organizing 1
- Labor unions -- History 1
- Sit-down strikes 1
- Video recordings 1 ∧ view less
- General Motors Corporation 2
- Barnard, John 1
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Chrysler Corporation 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- General Motors Corporation. Guide Lamp Division 1
- Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations (University of Michigan--Wayne State University) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- King, R. T. 1
- Mechanics Educational Society of America 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Pflug, Warner W. 1
- Ruggles, Glenn 1
- Savela, Edward 1
- Skeels, Jack W. 1
- Smith, Mike (Michael O.) 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more