Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 2: G-M, Folder: 8
Abstract In 1974, Susan Hartmann and Lucy Haessler interviewed Irene Young Marinovich, a veteran GM worker and local UAW leader at Detroit auto plants, including the General Motors Ternstedt Plant. Collection consists of the interview recording and transcript about the UAW and conditions for women workers in Detroit-area auto plants during the 1930s and 1940s.
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 3: O-Si, Item: 7
Abstract In 1966, University of Michigan professor of history Sidney Fine interviewed union leader and political activist Roy Reuther. Collection consists of the interview transcript about the 1936-1937 Flint Sit-down Strike.
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
- Sound recordings 3
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Automobile industry workers 2
- Automation 1
- Flint Sit-Down Strike, 1936-1937 1
- Labor movement 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1
- Strikes and lockouts -- Automobile industry 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women labor leaders 1 ∧ view less
- Chrysler Corporation 1
- Fine, Sidney 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- Haessler, Lucy Whitaker 1
- Hartmann, Susan M. 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- Marinovich, Irene Young 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Savela, Edward 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more