Skip to main content

Wayne University Community Colleges Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000472

Scope and Content

The papers of the Freshman/Community Colleges Collection reflect the work of Harley L. Gibb from program's inception in the fall of 1934 until its conclusion in the summer of 1939. They show the Colleges' organization, governmental implementation, community response and the difficulties which led to its subsequent termination.

Dates

  • 1934 - 1940

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.
Boxes 11-15 are closed. See University Archivist for permission.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

History

See attached finding aid for complete history: The Freshman/Community Colleges of Wayne University (1934-1939) was a part of the federal Freshman College Project. The Project's objectives were to employ teachers and to give one year of college education to those who were financially unable to afford it. Salaries for teachers, administrators and supervisors was provided by Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) loans channeled through the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA) and Orin Kaye, the state director of the Emergency Education Program. Michigan was divided into eight districts with each state supported college responsible for the supervision and organization of the Freshman Colleges within its geographical districts. Wayne University's district comprised the four most populated counties (Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and St. Clair) in southeast Michigan. On September 10, 1934, Charles L. Spain, Wayne's Executive Vice-President, appointed Professor Harley L. Gibb as Supervising Director for the University's Freshman Colleges.

By 1939, primarily due to the Federal Relief Appropriation Act, the program terminated. The Act stipulated that persons could be employed under the WPA for eighteen months. Gibb protested that Community Colleges would be required to perpetually train new instructors. The Wayne University Administrative Advisory Committee met in July and agreed that continuation of the program would be almost impossible. This coupled with more WPA regulations and a general lack of enthusiasm among the University's Administration and faculty, ended the program. The special interest courses were transferred to the Adult Education Division of the Detroit Evening Schools. Some credit courses were transferred to the University of Michigan's Correspondence Division. It should be noted that the other state colleges abandoned the program by October, 1936.

Extent

7.5 Linear Feet (15 MB)

Abstract

This collection chronicles the federal Freshman College Project. The aim of the Project was to employ teachers, and give one year of college education to those in financial need. In 1935, the program name was changed to: “Community Colleges.” This collection shows the Colleges’ organization, governmental implementation, community response and the difficulties that led to its termination.

Arrangement

Folders are arranged alphabetically by subject.

Acquisition

These records were pulled from the papers of Winifred Harbison, Vice-President for Academic Administration, and the papers of President Henry on December 8, 1974.

Related Materials

Wayne State University Academic Administration Vice President Winfred A. Harbison Records, Wayne University Office of the President David D. Henry Records

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Title
Guide to the Wayne University Community Colleges Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA