Skip to main content

Grace Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001352
Part 1: Part 1 of the Grace Hospital Collection consists of the minutes of the Board of Trustees, the Board of Lady Managers, the Medical Staff Executive Committee, and other hospital committees, correspondence, clippings, reports, and publications relating to the administration of the hospital and the Detroit Medical Center, medical procedures and education, the activities of the Grace Hospital School of Nursing and the hospital Women’s Auxiliary, and to the history of health care and hospital development in Detroit in the twentieth century.

Important subjects: Detroit Hospitals, Health Care in Detroit, Detroit Medical Center, Medical Education, Grace Hospital School of Nursing, Nursing Education.

Important correspondents: Dr. Myra Babock, Dr. Warren Babcock, Dr. William Beaumont, Eugenie Hibbard, Dr. Frederick Hyde, Jr., At. T. Putnum.
Part 2: Contains research notes, photocopies of clippings and articles, oral history tapes and transcripts, publications, administrative records, and correspondence relating to Grace Hospital and the Grace Hospital School of Nursing. A large amount of material in this collection was compiled by Dr. Philip Mason. Oral histories include recordings for seven interviews with five administrators, doctors, and nurses affiliated with the organizations. Transcripts exist for all but one of the interviews (Dr. Hyde, 1973). Each transcript folder includes draft versions well as the final version. One participant (Dr. Hyde) was interviewed multiple times. Some interviews span multiple tapes.

The following individuals were interviewed by Dr. Mason: Marion McMillan Biganeiss, Grace Hospital School of Nursing graduate and a member of the McMillan family, longtime supporters of the hospital; George Caralis, who held various high-level hospital administrative positions, including President; Dr. Frederick W. Hyde, Jr., Associate Director and Acting Director in the 1960s and 1970s, interviewed three times: in 1973 (tape only, no transcript; speaking on the merger of Grace Hospital and Harper Hospital), 1988 (touches again on the Grace-Harper hospital merger), and 1991; Dr. Robert Reynolds, who had been Chief of Staff and Chief of Surgery; and Orpha Hunter Robertson, RN, class of 1922, Grace Hospital Training School.

Dates

  • 1880 - 1993

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

RESTRICTIONS: Due to the personal nature of oral history, the Library prohibits use of the material in any way that infringes on individual right to privacy, or results in libelous statements or slander, in accordance with U.S. law. No part of the transcripts or recordings may be duplicated or quoted for publication without the written permission of the interviewee or his/her designee.

Extent

20.25 Linear Feet ((18 SB, 2 OS), 1 ledger. ) : Oral history portion consists of 5 folders of printed transcripts and 14 audiocassettes.

Abstract

Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The Grace Hospital Collection consists of the materials relating to the administration of the hospital and the Detroit Medical Center, medical procedures and education, the activities of the Grace Hospital School of Nursing and the hospital Women's Auxiliary, and to the history of health care and hospital development in Detroit in the twentieth century. Included are 100th anniversary materials on the history of Grace Hospital and the Grace Hospital School of Nursing: seven oral histories conducted by Dr. Philip Mason.

History

Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. Named for the late daughter of one of the hospital’s benefactors, Senator James McMillan, it was built on a plot of land at the corner of Willis Avenue and John R Street donated by wealthy Detroit real estate developer Amos Chafee. During its first year, the hospital admitted 617 patients and treated 3,845 in its free outpatient clinic, one of the first such operations in the Midwest. In 1889 a Board of Lady Managers was established to act with the Board of Trustees in administering the hospital. Mrs. John S. Newberry served as its first president, succeeded on her death in 1912 by her daughter, Mrs. Helen N. Joy.

Grace Hospital expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985.

The Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses, one of the first in the United States, was organized in 1889 with fourteen students under the direction of Eugenie Hibbard, and closed its doors in 1980, having graduated over seven thousand nurses in its 91-year history.
Dr. Philip Mason conducted the Grace Hospital Oral Histories as part of his research on the history of Grace Hospital and the Grace Hospital School of Nursing, in preparation for the hospital's 100th anniversary.

Arrangement

Part 1: Folders in Part 1 are computer-arranged alphabetically in this finding aid, but may actually be dispersed throughout several boxes in the collection. Note carefully the box number for each folder heading.
Part 2: Records are loosely arranged by type of material and then alphabetically by subject and/or chronologically within. Oral history transcripts in box 6 are arranged alphabetically by interviewee last name. Oral history recordings are arranged by interview number, which corresponds to alphabetical arrangement by interviewee last name.

Acquisition

Oral histories were donated to the Reuther Library by Philip Mason in 2006.

Other Copies

Duplicate recordings exist for some interviews.

Transfers

Part 1: A large number of photographs relating to Grace Hospital and the Grace Hospital School of Nursing have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection.
Part 2: Audiocassette tapes were transferred to the Reuther's Audiovisual Department.

Processing History

Processed by J. Litsey and Rebecca Bizonet. Finding aid updated by Rebecca Bizonet on April 4, 2016.
Title
Guide to the Grace Hospital Records
Status
completed
Author
Records processed and finding aid written by J. Litsey; oral history materials processed by Rebecca Bizonet.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Sponsor
Description made possible by funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA