Skip to main content

Wayne State University School of Medicine Occupational Therapy Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000355
This collection contains the records of Barbara Jewett, Chairman of the Wayne State University School of Medicine Occupational Therapy Occupational Therapy Department.

Series Description: Series 1: Departmental Records, 1944-1974 Series 2: Reports, Articles and Programs, 1944-1974 Series 3: Occupational Therapy Curriculum Program 1944-1974 Series 4: Occupational Therapy Assistant Program, 1944-1974 Series 5: Volunteer Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Series 6: Occupational Therapy and Geriatrics Series 7: Michigan Occupational Therapy Association Materials, 1954-1973

Dates

  • 1944 - 1974

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (5 MB)

Abstract

The Occupational Therapy Curriculum was started at Wayne University in September 1944. Dr. John Lee of the Department of Special Education, the initial adviser in this program, submitted a curriculum which was given temporary approval by the Council of Medical Education of the American Medical Association. In February 1945, Barbara Jewett, O.T.R., joined the faculty as an assistant professor. This was a cooperative arrangement with the Detroit Orthopedic Clinic where she served as a consultant for the Curative Workshop. The curriculum was set up as a general University Program under the responsibility of Clarence Hilberry, Dean of Administration. The degree was offered in both the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Education. In the fall of 1946, Miss Jewett became a full time instructor and curriculum counselor, and she remained for 28 years as chairman of the department until her retirement in 1974. The curriculum and professional courses were centered in Grace Hospital, and clinical affiliation centers were arranged by Miss Jewett. In the spring of 1947, a department was equipped by the hospital to provide a clinical setting for the curriculum. The addition of a treatment program necessitated the addition of a therapist to the staff, which was made possible through a cooperative arrangement with the Hospital and the University. On July 8, 1948 the Council of Medical Education gave full approval to the curriculum, under the medical direction of Dr. Max K. Newman. The Occupational Therapy Program was given the status of a Department in the College of Liberal Arts in the spring of 1956. In February, 1959, the Department of Occupational Therapy moved to quarters in the Rehabilitation Institute. Here the Department no longer was responsible for patient treatment, and the classroom and library facilities were available for students throughout the day. Dr. Joseph Schaeffer, Director of the Rehabilitation Institute and Chairman of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Medical School, became medical advisor for the Department. In the fall of 1963 the Department was transferred from the College of Liberal Arts to the College of Medicine. In May 1965, the program was resurveyed and accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association and the American Medical Association. In 1969 the Medical School created the Division of Allied Health Programs under the leadership of Dr. Fred Rights which combined the Departments of Medical Technology, Physical Therapy, and Occupational Therapy. The Master of Science program was officially started in September, 1970.

Arrangement

Arranged in 7 series – Series 1 (Box 1), Series 2 (Box 2), Series 3 (Box 2), Series 4 (Boxes 2-4), Series 5 (Box 4), Series 6 (Boxes 4-5), and Series 7 (Box 5). Folders are arranged alphabetically.

Acquisition

Donated to the University Archives in 1974 and 1975.

Related Materials

Wayne State University School of Medicine collections

Transfers

One filmstrip, "The Story of Betty" which presents Wayne University's Occupational Therapy Program in the department of Physical Medicine at Grace Hospital, and twenty-seven photographs of students, faculty, and patients, many showing equipment and techniques used in occupational therapy, have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collections.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University School of Medicine Occupational Therapy Department Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA