Skip to main content

Wayne State University College of Education Audio-Visual Consultation Bureau Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000206
The collection documents the Bureau's production of educational movies and slide strips and accompanying printed material on a variety of subjects. It also reflects the use of visual material in classrooms as well as developments in teaching methodology in the 1950s.

Series Description: Series 1: Bureau Projects, 1944-1959 Series 2: Bureau Functions, 1949-1960 Series 3: American Telephone and Telegraph, 1948-1959 Series 4: Correspondence, 1949-1960

Dates

  • 1944 - 1960
  • Majority of material found within 1948 - 1959

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (12 SB)

Abstract

The records of the College of Education’s Audio-Visual Consultation Bureau, directed by Arthur Stenius. The collection documents the Bureau’s production of educational movies and slide strips and accompanying printed material on a variety of subjects. It also reflects the use of visual material in classrooms as well as developments in teaching methodology in the 1950’s.

History

In March of 1945 President David Henry appointed a Committee on Audiovisual Aids to examine existing facilities, to suggest improvements and expansion of audio-visual teaching aids service, and to recommend organizational and administrative needs. The Committee recommended in June of 1946 that a division of audio-visual education be created with the director reporting to the President. In April of 1948, Clarence Hilberry, Dean of Administration, outlined the principles for the division of responsibilities between the colleges and the University Audiovisual Centers. From 1948 to 1958, the University experienced growth in audiovisual programs and services. During the years the names and functions of the audio-visual units of the University have changed. President William R. Keast established the Center for Instructional Technology in April of 1967 to encompass the Audiovisual Production and the Audiovisual Utilization Centers, formerly the Visual-Auditory Center, and the Mass Communications Division.

The College of Education had two audiovisual units separate from the University. The Department of Audiovisual Education provided prospective teachers, in-service teachers and educational administrators with professional training in the use of visual and auditory teaching aids. The Audiovisual Consultation Bureau was established for the primary purpose of counseling with school superintendents and state and national educational organizations regarding their needs for improved audiovisual methods and materials. The Bureau assisted non-profit organizations and commercial producers and sponsors to provide instructional materials intended for school and college use. Just prior to 1958 the Bureau became a production and distribution agency for film strips, recordings, motion picture films and similar material.

In June of 1958, the College of Education merged the Audiovisual Consultation Bureau with the Audiovisual Education Department. The responsibilities of the new department included producing some materials for use in its classrooms and instructional laboratories in addition to producing motion pictures about schools, school systems, or some facet of community life that related directly to the schools. The department was also to produce training films and make full use of the University's Auditory-Visual Production Center to create its productions.

Arrangement

Arranged in 4 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-5), Series 2 (Boxes 6-8), Series 3 (Boxes 9-10), and Series 4 (Boxes 11-12). Folders are arranged alphabetically.

Acquisition

Donated to the University in several shipments from 1970 to 1991.

Related Materials

Wayne State University collections

Transfers

Six and one third storage boxes of photographs, negatives, proof sheets, prints, and one phonograph record from this collection have been transferred to the Archives Audio Visual Collection. Over the years the following items have been received from the Center for Instructional Technology by the University Archives and transferred to the Audio Visual Collection: 28 storage boxes of negatives and photographs whose subjects include buildings by street and the University Theater; 13 16mm films whose subjects include band, nursing, Presidents Keast and Hilberry, dedication of Shapiro Hall, and Monteith College; 16 audio tapes whose subjects include inaugurations and/or speeches of Presidents Henry, Gullen, and Bonner; 550 slides; and 1 bronze plaque in memory of David Mackenzie.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University College of Education Audio-Visual Consultation Bureau Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA