Skip to main content

United Community Services Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002493
The United Community Services Communications Department Records consist of correspondence, reports, press releases, promotional brochures, and newspaper clippings related to the publicity efforts of UCS. The collection documents the promotional strategies used by UCS to promote its activities, seek volunteers, solicit funds, and increase public knowledge of UCS and its member agencies. The collection also contains information pertaining to internal UCS administrative functions, including the UCS Assembly nominating committee and the organization's annual meetings.

Important Subjects: Community-based social services Detroit (Mich.) Mass media and social service Public relations Public welfare Social service--Michigan--Detroit. United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit United Foundation (Detroit, Mich.) Volunteer workers in social service

Important Names: Derdarian, Mae M. Guiney, Mary K. Huegli, Richard Norton, James H

Dates

  • 1928 - 1992
  • Majority of material found within 1947 - 1984

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature — personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

6 Linear Feet (6 SB)

Abstract

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Communications Department, previously known as the Public Relations Department, was responsible for promoting UCS and member agency activities to the public, through press releases, newspaper, radio, and television advertisements, promotional brochures, and other advertising campaigns. The department also counseled other UCS departments and member agencies on their promotional campaigns. The United Community Services Communications Department Records consist of correspondence, reports, press releases, promotional brochures, and newspaper clippings related to the publicity efforts of UCS. The collection documents the promotional strategies used by UCS to promote its activities, seek volunteers, solicit funds, and increase public knowledge of UCS and its member agencies. The collection also contains information pertaining to internal UCS administrative functions, including the UCS Assembly nominating committee and the organization's annual meetings.

History

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Communications Department, previously known as the Public Relations Department, was responsible for promoting UCS and member agency activities to the public, through press releases, newspaper, radio, and television advertisements, promotional brochures, and other advertising campaigns. The department also counseled other UCS departments and member agencies on their promotional campaigns.

Arrangement of the Records

Folders are listed by their location within each box. They are not necessarily arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout the entire collection.

Acquisition

Records deposited by United Community Services primarily in 1981 and 1987.

Related Material

Reuther collections: United Community Services and United Way collections.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Dallas Pillen on February 21, 2014.
Title
Guide to the United Community Services Communications Department Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Dallas Pillen.
Date
2014-02-21
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA