Skip to main content

Wayne State University Computing and Data Processing Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000196
The papers of the Computing and Data Processing Center consist of correspondence, articles, minutes, publications, personnel policies, personal records of Dr. Hoffman, and reports reflecting the emerging field of computing at Wayne State University under the direction of Dr. Hoffman. They also reflect the Computing and Data Processing Center's involvement with Argonne University Association, a consortium of universities research.

Series Description: Series 1: Correspondence, 1965-1969 Series 2: General Files, 1956-1970 Series 3: ARGONNE University Association, 1970-1974

Dates

  • 1956 - 1974

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

16.5 Linear Feet (16 SB, 1 MB)

Abstract

In 1947 Wayne State University entered the computer age with the purchase of a mechanical differential analyzer from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Computation Lab was established five years later. Wayne partnered with Burroughs Research Lab to develop the Unitized Digital Electronic computer. An IBM 650 Magnetic Drum Data Processing Machine was used at the University in 1955. The Computation Lab changed its name in 1958 to the Computing Center. It continued to expand, and an IBM 1401, 7070/1401, and 1460 were installed. In 1962 the Electronic Data Processing Office merged with the Computing Center, and the Computing and Data Processing Center was formed. Newer and more powerful computers such as the IBM 360 Model 40, IBM 360/65, and IBM 360 Model 67 were installed throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s. Dr. Arvid Jacobson, Professor of Mathematics at Wayne University acquired the equipment necessary to develop mechanical and electronic calculation at the University in 1947. Dr. Walter Hoffman assumed Jacobson’s position upon his retirement in 1957.

Arrangement

Arranged in 3 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-5), Series 2 (Boxes 5-15), and Series 3 (Boxes 15-17). Folders are arranged alphabetically by subject or type of material.

Acquisition

The records of the Computing and Data Processing Center were donated to the University Archives in 1970 and 1972.

Related Materials

Wayne State University collections

Transfers

A few photographs of the Center and its staff have been transferred to the Archives Audiovisual Collection.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in May 1994.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University Computing and Data Processing Center Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1994-05
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA