Skip to main content

Jewish Family Service Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002349
The Jewish Family Service Records are made up of a variety of materials documenting the many projects and internal operations of the Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS). The Photographic Material and Major Services and Programs series reflect the organization's special events and campaigns. The Committees and Manuals along with Inter-Agency Material series provide a window into the internal operations and day-to-day work of the JFS through correspondence, staff training booklets, and meeting records. Scrapbooks, containing newspaper clippings and photographs, highlight the notable accomplishments and prominent members of the JFS. Finally, the Architectural Records series contains oversized blueprints and drawings of several facilities constructed to expand the operations of the JFS.

Important Subjects: Community service Detroit (Mich.) Holocaust survivors Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Jewish refugees Jews -- Charities Philanthropy

Dates

  • 1917 - 2000

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

22.5 Linear Feet (19 MB, 3 SB, 6 OS)

Abstract

Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service for the Detroit-area's Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. The JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII, when they worked towards the resettlement for Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social services for the greater southeast Michigan community. The Jewish Family Service Records are made up of a variety of materials documenting the many projects and internal operations of the Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS). The Photographic Material and Major Services and Programs series reflect the organization's special events and campaigns. The Committees and Manuals along with Inter-Agency Material series provide a window into the internal operations and day-to-day work of the JFS through correspondence, staff training booklets, and meeting records. Scrapbooks, containing newspaper clippings and photographs, highlight the notable accomplishments and prominent members of the JFS. Finally, the Architectural Records series contains oversized blueprints and drawings of several facilities constructed to expand the operations of the JFS.

History

Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service for the Detroit-area's Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. The JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII, when they worked towards the resettlement for Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social services for the greater southeast Michigan community.

Arrangement of the Jewish Family Service Records

Arranged in 6 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-3, 25), Series 2 (Boxes 4-9), Series 3 (Boxes 10-13), Series 4 (Boxes 14-22), Series 5 (Boxes 23-24), and Series 6 (Boxes 26-28).

Acquisition

Deposited at the Reuther on July 27, 2012 by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit as part of the Jewish Community Archives.

Related Material

Jewish Community Archives

Processing History

Finding aid written by staff at the Jewish Community Archives; edited by Gavin Strassel on September 3, 2014.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Jewish Family Service Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by staff at the Jewish Community Archives; encoded by Gavin Strassel.
Date
2014-09-03
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2014-09-03: Revised by Gavin Strassel.

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA