Wayne State University Association of Faculty Women Records
Scope and Content
The collection consists of annual reports, newsletters, constitutions and bylaws, correspondence, membership information and meeting minutes.
- 1935 - 1971
- Wayne State University (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material entirely in English.
Collection is open for research.
Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library
Rules for Use of Archival Materials.Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.
1.5 Linear Feet (3 MB)
The Association of Faculty Women was composed of female employees of Wayne State University in instructional or administrative positions. Its stated purpose was "to encourage membership of qualified faculty women to appointive and elective positions and responsibilities in the University and in the community; to promote the educational and professional welfare of all women, both staff and students, on the University Campus; and to enrich the educational and professional interests of faculty women." The Faculty Women's Club of Wayne University was founded in January of 1935 by female faculty members of Wayne University. The organization's constitution initially stated that its purpose was "to promote the interests of all women on the campus and especially to forward the social life and professional interests of the women of the faculty"; later this purpose was changed to read "...the social life and professional interests of the members of the organization." The group was briefly named the Wayne University Women's Club, from 1939 until 1940. In 1960 the Faculty Women's Club became the Association of Faculty Women. The name change was intended to avoid confusion with Wayne State University's Faculty Wives' Club, and to emphasize the professional rather than the social aspects of the organization. The Association of Faculty Women represented the female faculty and staff of Wayne State University until 1971, at which time the group was superseded by the President's Commission on the Status of Women.
Folders are arranged by material type.
Donated to the University Archives in 1962 and 1983.
Processed and finding aid written by Casey Westerman on July 2, 2013.
- Guide to the Wayne State University Association of Faculty Women Records
- Processed by Casey Westerman.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note