Skip to main content

Wayne University Medical Library Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000105

Scope and Content

This collection reflects the history of the Medical Library from 1900 through July, 1949. The bulk of the material covers the period that began with the donation of the Medical Society library to the Detroit Public Library in 1923 and ended with the full incorporation of the medical library into the Wayne University Libraries group in 1949. Of particular interest to students of the history of medicine are the brief histories of Detroit's medical clubs and associations compiled by Dr. Walter Cree for the Library Committee of the Wayne County Medical Society in 1939.

Series Description: Series 1: Administration files, 1924-1949 Series 2: Wayne County Medical Society files, 1900-1949

Dates

  • 1901 - 1949

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

History

The first medical library in Detroit was established in 1876 by the Detroit Medical and Library Association, a group of local physicians that merged with the Wayne County Medical Society in 1898. The library was housed in the Detroit Public Library building until 1909 when the Society provided separate facilities and a full-time librarian. In 1923, the Wayne County Medical Society donated the 19,500 collection to the public library and it was housed in the Detroit College of Medicine building where it served both the medical profession and interested laymen. In 1928, the library received an endowment in the names of Dr. Theodore A. McGraw and Dr. Theodore A. McGraw, Jr. for the purchase of books and periodicals on endocrinology. The senior Dr. McGraw, a surgeon who performed one of the earliest thyroidectomies in the United States, was Professor of Surgery and chairman of the Faculty of the College of Medicine during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. By the time Wayne University assumed full financial responsibility for the library in July, 1949, the total number of volumes in the medical collection had increased to over 53,000 including 670 serials.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (3 MB)

Abstract

These papers reflect the history of the Medical library from 1900 through July 1949. Most of the material was donated in 1923 by the Medical Society library to the Detroit Public Library. The collection ends with the full incorporation of the medical library into the Wayne University Libraries group in 1949.

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-2), and Series 2 (Box 3). Folders are arranged alphabetically by subject or type of material.

Acquisition

This collection was donated to the University Archives on December 20, 1961 and May 23, 1962 by Dr. Pings.

Related Materials

Wayne State University collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in 1964.
Title
Guide to the Wayne University Medical Library Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1964
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA