Skip to main content

Wayne State University School of Occupational Health Office of the Dean: Raymond Hussey Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000067
Subjects included in this collection are: Education in occupational health; Environmental hygiene and toxicology; Improvement of medical service in industry; Management responsibility toward employee's health; Medical relations with workman's compensation boards and commissions, Occupational Health Administration, Scope of Occupational Health and Medicine.

Series Description: Series 1: Dr. Raymond Hussey Personal Files Series 2: Office of the Dean Files Series 3: General Data about School of Occupational Health Series 4: Orientation Course Data Series 5: Conference Data Series 6: Unrelated Lectures, Notes and Addresses

Dates

  • 1945 - 1949

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (5 MB)

Abstract

This school began in 1944. Its purpose was to develop a program in the field of occupational health and medicine that would include research, service and education. The center of interest focused on the promotion and maintenance of employee health. Its 3 main concerns covered technology, human relationships in industry and administration of occupational health programs.

History

The School of Occupational Health came into being June 27, 1944; Dr. Raymond Hussey was appointed Dean December 26, 1944. The underlying purpose of the school was to develop a program in the field of occupational health and medicine that would encompass research, service, and education. According to its philosophy, the center of interest focused on the promotion and maintenance of employee health rather than with the more usual diagnosis and treatment of disease.

Furthermore, since its three thrusts were to cover the three areas of the field-technology, human relationships in industry and administration of occupational health programs in industrial plants-programs were outlined for chemists, physicists and engineers as well as physicians and administrators. An importance was attached to teamwork generating success. Short intensive courses, orientation courses, symposium-conferences and plant tours became the mode of teaching and researching. Experts were called in all areas.

The establishment and continuation of the school were conditioned upon financial supports pledged by the Medical Science Center. The first grant from the Medical Science Center was made in the amount of $21,000 while total grants over a five year period amounted to $138,336.52. Because funds were no longer available after this period, the school was terminated October 18, 1949.

Heading the school during its four year existence was Dean Raymond Hussey who credited his introduction to the field of occupational health to Dr. Allen Lazenby, medical director of the Maryland Casualty Company. Through committee work and further association with Dr. Lazenby, Dr. Hussey's enthusiasm, interest, and concern mounted as he realized the almost total lack of programming in occupational health. Consequently, when the opportunity to formulate such a program at Wayne State University presented itself, he readily accepted.

Arrangement

Arranged in 6 series – Series 1 (Box 1), Series 2 (Box 2), Series 3 (Box 3), Series 4 (Box 3), Series 5 (Box 3-5), and Series 6 (Box 5). Folders are arranged alphabetically and chronologically.

Acquisition

The papers of the School of Occupational Health, Office of the Dean were deposited in the University Archives November 11, 1959.

Related Materials

Refer to Wayne State University School of Medicine collections.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library on May 24, 1974.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University School of Occupational Health Office of the Dean: Raymond Hussey Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1974-05-24
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA