Skip to main content

Wayne University College of Medicine Office of the Dean Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000017

Scope and Content

The records of the Office of the Dean of the College of Medicine document the period from approximately 1916 through the end of World War II.

Series Description: Series 1: Administrative Papers, 1919-1946 Series 2: Academic Affairs, 1919-1942 Series 3: Faculty and Alumni, 1886-1942 Series 4: University Units, Local Hospitals and Other Local University Files, 1921-1944 Series 5: The Medical School's Role in World War I and World War II, 1918-1945

Dates

  • 1886 - 1946
  • Majority of material found within 1916 - 1946

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

History

When the Detroit College of Medicine was reorganized as the Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery in 1913, Burt R. Shurly, M.D. became the first occupant of the newly created Office of the Dean, replacing Dr. Theodore McGraw, the retiring President of the Faculty as the school's chief administrative officer. An 1895 graduate of the Detroit College of Medicine and a professor of otolaryngology, Shurly served four years, resigning in 1917 to organize and direct the Thirty-Sixth General Hospital Unit in southern France. As Secretary of the Faculty, Dr. Walter MacCraken, professor and head of the department of pharmacology, assumed responsibility for management of the College's business affairs and was officially named Shurly's successor shortly after the Detroit Board of Education assumed control of the College in 1918.

MacCraken, whose seventeen year tenure saw the incorporation of the College of Medicine into the reorganized Wayne University, retired in 1935 and was succeeded by William J. Stapleton, M.D., a professor of medical jurisprudence, ethics and economics who served as acting Dean until Raymond B. Allen was appointed in 1936. Dr. Allen, who had received a Ph.D in medical research from the University of Minnesota and served three years as an associate Dean for graduate studies at the Columbia College of Physicians, became the first Dean who was not a medical doctor, the first Dean without some previous affiliation with the College, and the first non-teaching Dean. He resigned in 1939 and was was succeeded by Edgar H. Norris, M.D., a professor of pathology and graduate of the University of Minnesota, whose health had forced him to abandon a successful career in surgery. Norris served through the war years, retiring in 1945. He was succeeded by Dr. Hardy Kemp, a former Dean of the College of Medicine at the Ohio State University and a specialist in bacteriology and preventative medicine educated at St. Louis University and Baylor University. Dean Kemp resigned in 1948.

Extent

10.75 Linear Feet (27 MB)

Abstract

The administrations of Dr. Theodore McGraw, Burt R. Shurly, Dr. Walter McCracken, Dr. William J. Stapleton, Dr. Raymond B. Allen, Dr. Edgar H. Norris, and Dr. Hardy Kemp are contained in this collection. All administrative details of the college, its students and faculty for this time period are captured. The medical school’s role in both world wars is contained in Series Five.

Arrangement

Arranged in 5 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-13), Series 2 (Boxes 13-17), Series 3 (Boxes 17-18), Series 4 (Boxes 18-23), and Series 5 (Boxes 24-27). Folders are arranged alphabetically.

Acquisition

Records were deposited to the University Archives on December 31, 1958.

Related Materials

Wayne State University collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Title
Guide to the Wayne University College of Medicine Office of the Dean Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA