Skip to main content

JCA: National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001647
Part 1: Series 1: Administrative materials, 1891-1990. Series 2: Yearbooks and bulletins, 1917-1951. Series 3: Meeting minutes, 1928-1944. Series 4: Annual reports, 1927-1941. Series 5: Books and scrapbooks, 1896-1990.
Part 2: Series 1: Administrative materials, 1891-1993. Series 2: Board meeting minutes, 1944-1991. Series 3: Bulletins, 1940-1991. Series 4: Council projects, 1916-1992.
Part 3: Series 1: General Office Files, 1990-2004. Series 2: National NCJW Convention, 1995-1996.

Dates

  • 1891 - 2004

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

68 Linear Feet (88 MS, 19 OS)

Abstract

In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The NCJW-GDS records document the activities of the organization from its inception, including administrative affairs and programming, and the role of the organization in the Detroit community.

History

In 1891, the Jewish Woman’s Club of Temple Beth El in Detroit was formed to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” In 1896 the group changed its name to the Jewish Woman’s Club (JWC) of Detroit. Innovative philanthropic projects were a focal point for the group. Examples of such projects included free libraries that traveled to local factories for the workers and support for the Russian Relief Fund (1905). In 1903, a scholarship fund for Jewish girls was established, and in 1911 the Penny Lunch Project was initiated for children at several schools in poor areas of Detroit. In 1919, the JWC was incorporated and opened a residence for employed Jewish women at 89 Rowena Street in Detroit; this house was reorganized in 1921 as the Young Women’s Hebrew Association (YWHA). In 1925, the JWC affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). Despite the name change, the group’s philanthropic mission remained the same. The Big Sister Program began in 1933, and the Orchards Children’s Services was established in the late 1950s with services for at-risk children; it now includes adoption services, foster parent training, and services to high-risk families. Other NCJW-GDS projects include Kosher Meals on Wheels, financial assistance for education, temporary housing for women and children in domestic abuse situations (Safe Place), SPACE for Changing Families Support Groups, and advocacy regarding issues such as gun violence protection, sex trafficking and reproductive justice. Parts 1 and 2 of this collection were originally gathered and organized by Dorothy Kaufman, a long-time NCJW member, who died in 2012.

Arrangement

Part 1: Series 1 (Boxes 1-4), Series 2 (Boxes 5-7), Series 3 (Boxes 8-9), Series 4 (Box 10) and Series 5 (Boxes 11-39). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series and each part.
Part 2: Arranged in 4 series: Series 1 (Boxes 40-63), Series 2 (Boxes 64-74), Series 3 (Boxes 75-78), and Series 4 (Boxes 79-102). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series and each part.
Part 3: Arranged in 2 series: Series 1 (Boxes 103-106), and Series 2 (Box 107). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series and each part.

Acquisition

Parts 1 and 2 were deposited at the Reuther Library in 1995; Part 3 was deposited in 2010.

Related Materials

Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives at the Reuther Library

Transfers

AV materials are kept at the NCJW-GDS office in Southfield, MI.

Processing History

Processed by the NCJW: Great Detroit Section. Finding aid for Parts 1 and 2 written by Dorothy Kaufman, 1995. Finding aid for Part 3 written by Derrick Burton, October 13, 2011. Entire finding aid revised by Aimee Ergas, February 15, 2016.
Title
Guide to the JCA: National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by the National Council of Jewish Women: Greater Detroit Section Records (Part 1 and 2) and the Walter P. Reuther Library (Part 3).
Date
1995
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2016-02-16: Finding aid updated and revised by Aimee Ergas
  • 2011: Part 3 added.

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA