Skip to main content

JCA: Auxiliary for Jewish Home and Aging Services Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002521

Scope and Content

This collection, which dates from 1933 to 2007, includes administrative documents, meeting minutes and correspondence, presidents' record books, memorabilia from various programs and events, photographs, scrapbooks and several quilts made by staff and residents of the senior residence facilities. The collection is arranged into three series. Series 1: Documents and scrapbooks, 1930s-2007. Series 2: Photographs, 1950s-2000. Series 3: Oversize boxes: scrapbooks and textiles, 1930s-1987.

Dates

  • 1933 - 2007

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

History

The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives of residents of the various senior homes and facilities of the Jewish community in Southeast Michigan. Volunteers have always played an important role in the Auxiliary, being actively involved in programming and fundraising to support the services of the senior residence facilities.

Extent

10.5 Linear Feet (7 MB, 1 SB, 4 OS)

Abstract

The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives of residents of the various senior homes and facilities of the Jewish community in Southeast Michigan. Volunteers have always played an important role in the Auxiliary, being actively involved in programming and fundraising to support the services of the senior residence facilities. This collection, which dates from 1933 to 2007, includes administrative documents, meeting minutes and correspondence, presidents' record books, memorabilia from various programs and events, photographs, scrapbooks and several quilts made by staff and residents of the senior residence facilities.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into three series: Series 1 (Boxes 1-6), Series 2 (Boxes 7-8), Series 3 (Boxes 9-12).

Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

Deposited by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit in February 2014 and June 2015.

Related Materials

JCA collections at the Reuther Library including Jewish Home for the Aged Records, Jewish Apartments and Services Records, Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Records.

Processing History

Processed by Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives in 2014. Finding aid revised and updated by Aimee Ergas on July 7, 2015.
Title
Guide to the JCA: Auxiliary for Jewish Home and Aging Services Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Aimee Ergas. Updated by Aimee Ergas, April 2020.
Date
2015-07-15
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA