Skip to main content

Save Orchestra Hall Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002849
Materials include legal and corporate documents, meeting minutes, reports, property and tax records, contracts, plans, proposals, studies, blueprints, journals, memoranda, notes, promotional materials, news clippings, and correspondence relating to Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. and related organizations as well as the preservation, restoration, and operation of Orchestra Hall.

Series I: Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 1980-1990 Series II: Legal, 1970-1988 Series III: Administrative, 1970-1997 Series IV: Restoration, 1973-2003 Series V: HIstory, marketing, and news coverage, 1919-2001 Series VI: Programs and events, 1919-1986

Dates

  • 1919 - 2003
  • Majority of material found within 1970 - 1998

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research with some exceptions. Boxes 2, 10, 11, 13 contain folders with restricted material. Archivist must remove restricted material from these marked folders before providing access.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

9.5 Linear Feet (17 MB, 1 OS)

Abstract

Built in 1919, Orchestra Hall was the home for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) until the financial pressures of the Depression forced the DSO to move to the Masonic Temple Theater. Renamed the Paradise Theater, the Hall remained a performance venue in Detroit until 1951 when the building was virtually abandoned. In 1970, Orchestra Hall was scheduled to be demolished when a group of local citizens, led by DSO bassoonist Paul Ganson, intervened. These concerned citizens formed Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. to raise funds and awareness for the preservation of Orchestra Hall. Following this successful campaign, Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. then turned to restoring the Hall to its past glory. As a result of these endeavors, the DSO returned to Orchestra Hall, making the Hall their permanent home in 1989. Soon thereafter, Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. and the DSO entered into a joint venture called Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall, Inc. to consolidate their efforts regarding the continuing operation and renovation of Orchestra Hall and its environs.

Materials include legal and corporate documents, meeting minutes, reports, property and tax records, contracts, plans, proposals, studies, blueprints, journals, memoranda, notes, promotional materials, news clippings, and correspondence relating to Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. and related organizations as well as the preservation, restoration, and operation of Orchestra Hall.

History

Built in 1919, Orchestra Hall was the home for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) until the financial pressures of the Depression forced the DSO to move to the Masonic Temple Theater. Renamed the Paradise Theater, the Hall remained a performance venue in Detroit until 1951 when the building was virtually abandoned. In 1970, Orchestra Hall was scheduled to be demolished when a group of local citizens, led by DSO bassoonist Paul Ganson, intervened. These concerned citizens formed Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. to raise funds and awareness for the preservation of Orchestra Hall. Following this successful campaign, Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. then turned to restoring the Hall to its past glory. As a result of these endeavors, the DSO returned to Orchestra Hall, making the Hall their permanent home in 1989. Soon thereafter, Save Orchestra Hall, Inc. and the DSO entered into a joint venture called Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall, Inc. to consolidate their efforts regarding the continuing operation and renovation of Orchestra Hall and its environs.

Arrangement

This collection was originally processed into 4 separate parts, but was combined into one collection, with similar original series, at the Reuther Library. The Save Orchestra Hall Records are arranged in 6 series - Series I: Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 1980-1990 (Box 1-2), Series II: Legal, 1970-1988 (Box 2), Series III: Administrative, 1970-1997 (Box 3-12), Series IV: Restoration, 1973-2003 (Box 13-15), Series V: History, marketing, and news coverage, 1919-2001 (Box 15-16), and Series VI: Programs and Events, 1919-1986 (Box 17). Folders are arranged roughly in alphabetical order.

Acquisition

The Save Orchestra Hall Records were deposited at the Walter P. Reuther Library by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra on December 20, 2018

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Shae Rafferty on December 9, 2019. Originally processed at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Archives by Daniel Baker, Holly Tylenda, Karly Szczepkowski, and Cynthia Korolov.

Source

Creator

Title
Guide to the Save Orchestra Hall Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Shae Rafferty. Originally processed at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Archives by Daniel Baker, Holly Tylenda, Karly Szczepkowski, and Cynthia Korolov.
Date
2019-12-09
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA