Skip to main content

Women for the United Foundation Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002538
Series Description: Series 1: Administrative Files, 1950-1987 Series 2: Heart of Gold, 1966-1987 Series 3: Health-O-Rama, 1964-1987 Series 4: Audiovisual Materials, 1960-1983

The Women for the United Foundation records consist of the administrative files of the WUF, as well as materials from the Heart of Gold Council, records relating to Project Health-O-Rama, and various audiovisual materials.

Dates

  • 1950 - 1987
  • Majority of material found within 1966 - 1982

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

40.75 Linear Feet (36 SB, 1 MB, 3 OS)

Abstract

In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF). The organization works under a set of by-laws and consists of an Executive Board, Board of Directors, Advisory Board, and various committees. WUF set out to inform the Detroit tri-county community about United Foundation services and soon became instrumental in the success of several United Foundation projects. WUF volunteers participate in activities important to the goals of the United Foundation as a whole, including childcare, elder care, religious activities, community or civic programs, cultural or educational activities, and health related programs. One of these programs, originally called “Inforama” and later called “Health-O-Rama,” offers free health tests to the public and became an annual event in the 1960s with full participation by WUF in cooperation with the United Health Organization. The Heart of Gold Award is annually given to a select group of outstanding volunteers in the metropolitan Detroit area in recognition of their service. The Heart of Gold Council is in charge of determining the recipients of this award, and was established in 1967 by the WUF, the Women’s Advertising Club of Detroit, and the Central Business District Association.

History

In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF).

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into 4 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-2), Series 2 (Boxes 12-27), Series 3 (Boxes 27-35), and Series 4 (Boxes 36-40).

Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

The Women for the United Foundation records were deposited in the Reuther Library in multiple accessions in 1987, 1991, and 1992.

Related Materials

United Community Services, United Foundation, and United Way collections.

Transfers

One letter size mylar slide sheet with photographic portraits of Heart of Gold winners from 1984-1985 was transferred to the Reuther’s Audiovisual Department.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Julia Teran on June 30, 2015.
Title
Guide to the Women for the United Foundation Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Julie Teran.
Date
2015-06-30
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA