Skip to main content

Cherboneau Place Cooperative Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001296

Scope and Content

Series 1: General files, Charbonneau Place Cooperative Correspondence, minutes, newsletters, architectural drawings, clippings and other materials relating to the creation, maintenance, and sales of Charbonneau Place Cooperative housing units. Also included are documents relating to the Detroit Teachers Credit Union.

Dates

  • 1940 - 1986
  • Majority of material found within 1959 - 1986

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

History

The Cherboneau Place Cooperative was incorporated in 1962 by a group of active and retired Detroit teachers under the aegis of the newly established Detroit Teachers Housing Corporation. The DTHC was a progressive arm of the Detroit Teachers Credit Union. Cherboneau Place Cooperative is located in downtown Detroit, bounded by Jefferson Ave., Chrysler Freeway, Gratiot Ave., and Orleans St. Due to the city's desire to promote and encourage urban renewal projects during the 1960s, Charbonneau Place was one of the first cooperative units constructed on redeveloped land called the Lafayette Park Project. Its first president was Ethel R. Torbett.

For information on the history of the Detroit Teachers Credit Union, see, The Mustard Tree, by Hazel Elizabeth Reid.

Extent

2 Linear Feet (4 MB)

Abstract

Subjects include: Detroit Teachers Housing Corporation; Lafayette Park urban renewal project

Arrangement

Arranged in 1 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-4). Folders are arranged by content type and then alphabetically.

Acquisition

The records of the Charbonneau Place Cooperative were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs in November, 1986 by Ruth Tenny and were opened for research in May, 1995. Ms. Tenny's papers were also deposited into the Archives, and focus on urban renewal in Detroit in the 1950s and 1960s.

Transfers

Three books, The Mustard Tree by Hazel E. Reid, and The History of the Michigan Credit Union League I and II by Cecil R. Crews, have been placed the Archives Library.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Title
Guide to the Cherboneau Place Cooperative Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA