Skip to main content

Children's Hospital of Michigan: Director of Laboratories Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001146

Scope and Content

The papers of Dr. Zuelzer reflect his work in the field of Medicine and, to a lesser degree, the operation of Children's Hospital and the Wayne State University College of Medicine.

Series 1: Professional Activities, 1940-1975. Boxes l-19: Office files of Dr. Zuelzer as Director of Laboratories of Children's Hospital of Michigan, and as Professor of Pediatrics at Wayne State University College of Medicine. Correspondence, programs, reviews and other materials relate to developments in the field of Pediatric Research.

Series 2: Children's Hospital of Michigan, 1895. 1946-1980 Correspondence, minutes, floor plans and other items relating to hospital operation and planning. Some files relate to the Child Research Center

Dates

  • 1895
  • 1940 - 1980
  • Majority of material found within 1954 - 1970

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

History

Wolf W. Zuelzer was born in Berlin, Germany on May 24, 1909. He received his medical degree from Prague University in 1935 and came to the United States for the completion of his postgraduate education in pediatrics and pathology. He received a medical degree from Wayne State University in 1943, in order to practice in the State of Michigan. Dr. Zuelzer was appointed to the position of Pathologist at Children's Hospital of Michigan in 1940, and as Director of Laboratories in 1945, a position he held until his retirement in 1975. His association with the Wayne State University College of Medicine began with his appointment in 1941 as an instructor of Pathology. He gained the status of Professor of Pediatric Research in 1947. At its inception in 1955. Dr. Zuelzer was named Director of the Child Research Center of Michigan, this institution being affiliated with both Children's Hospital and the Wayne State University College of Medicine. A recipient of the First Mead Johnson Award for Research in Pediatrics in 1948, Dr. Zuelzer was internationally known for his contributions in the field of Pediatric hematology. In 1975, he accepted a position as Associate Director for Blood Resources at the National Heart and Lung Institute in Washington, D. C. In addition to his work in the field of Medicine, Dr. Zuelzer was a member of the Ferndale Board of Education. He also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Oakland Symphony Orchestra.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (24 MB)

Abstract

Subjects include: Dr. Wolf Zuelzer, Director and Professor of Pathology at Wayne State University.

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-19), and Series 2 (Boxes 19-24). Folders are arranged alphabetically subject or type of material.

Acquisition

The papers of the Director of Laboratories, Dr. Wolf W. Zuelzer, were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs in December of 1980 by Dr. Robert H. Gregg, President of Children's Hospital of Michigan. They were opened for research in February of 1984.

Transfers

Approximately 12 photographs relating to Children's Hospital and 30 informal sketches by Dr. Zuelzer have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in February, 1984.
Title
Guide to the Children's Hospital of Michigan: Director of Laboratories Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1984-02
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA