Skip to main content

Detroit Academy of Medicine Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR002178
Series 1: Detroit Academy of Medicine and Detroit Medical Academy, 1869-2014 Subseries A: Academy History, Bylaws, and Correspondence, 1869-2006 Subseries B: Minutes and Meeting Invitations, 1870-2012 Subseries C: Member Files, 1951-2014 Series 2: Detroit Medical Club, 1906-2006 Series 3: Oversize Scrapbooks and Rosters, 1874-1969

Dates

  • 1869 - 2014
  • Majority of material found within 1902 - 1989

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

8 Linear Feet (7SB, 2 OS)

Abstract

The Detroit Academy of Medicine was first organized on September 21, 1869, in part as an outgrowth of the establishment of the Detroit Medical College in 1868. Its object was the development of closer professional and social relationships between members of the medical profession in Detroit. It’s membership was kept small in the interest of promoting easily assembled gatherings where all could have a chance to speak and present, and the organization did not seek to encompass the whole of the Detroit medical community. Nevertheless, it remained the only medical association in Detroit until 1876. Members of the Academy viewed the organization as a means of securing the professional and intellectual development necessary to conduct the affairs of the new medical school, and were also strong believers in the value of a more extensive education – one of their major activities was the sharing of significant papers and case studies. In 2005, the Detroit Academy of Medicine merged with another medical association, the Detroit Medical Club (founded 1906) in order to form a new, larger association called the Detroit Medical Academy that is still in existence today.

The contents of this collection cover the period between 1869 and 2014, with the bulk of material falling between 1902 and 1989. The records include the Academy’s constitution, bylaws, proposed amendments, correspondence, membership roles and member files, meeting minutes and invitations, scrapbooks, and other historical data. Also included are records from the Detroit Medical Club, and from the Detroit Medical Academy that was formed by the two organizations’ merger.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into 3 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-6), Series 2 (Boxes 6-7), and Series 3 (Boxes 8-9). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Series 1 is further divided into 3 subseries.

Acquisition

Donated to the University Archives by the Detroit Medical Academy, mainly in 2015.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Kris Kniffen on December 9, 2015.
Title
Guide to the Detroit Academy of Medicine Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Kris Kniffen.
Date
2015-12-09
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA