Skip to main content

Wayne State University School of Medicine Business Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000258
The Wayne State University School of Medicine Business Office Records consist of reports, memoranda, nominations for appointments, curricula vitae and resumes, studies, personnel lists, and faculty lists.

Dates

  • 1936 - 1971

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

1.75 Linear Feet (1 SB, 2 MB)

Abstract

The Wayne State University School of Medicine Business Office Records consist of reports, memoranda, nominations for appointments, curricula vitae and resumes, studies, personnel lists, and faculty lists.

History

The School of Medicine is the oldest component of Wayne University. It began with the Detroit Medical College, which was founded in 1868 and awarded its first M.D. degrees a year later. The Michigan College of Medicine opened in 1879, and competed with the Detroit Medical College until 1885, when the two schools merged to form the Detroit College of Medicine. In 1891 this institution gained departments of Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, and Dental Surgery; these departments were shuttered in 1899, 1905, and 1909, respectively. The Detroit College of Medicine was awarded "A" status by the American Medical Association in 1910, but lost that status three years later. In response, the school reorganized as the Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery, with changes in faculty and leadership. In 1918 the medical school was transferred to the control of the Detroit Board of Education, paving the way for its eventual inclusion in the Colleges of the City of Detroit in 1933. In 1934 the colleges were renamed Wayne University in honor of the Revolutionary War general, Anthony Wayne. In 1956, Wayne University became a state university, the Detroit Board of Education was replaced as its governing body by a Board of Governors elected by a state-wide ballot, and the institution was renamed Wayne State University.

Arrangement

Arranged in 1 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-2). The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject.

Acquisition

Donated to the Reuther Library in 1972.

Related Materials

Wayne State University School of Medicine Occupational Therapy Department Records, Wayne State University School of Medicine Department of Surgery Office of the Chairman Records, Wayne University College of Medicine Office of the Dean Records, Wayne State University School of Medicine Information Office Records, Detroit College of Medicine Early Records, Harold Mack, M.D. Papers, William Fredrick Papers, William J. Stapleton, Jr. Papers

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Devin Erlandson on May 8, 2014. Edited by Casey Westerman on May 12, 2014.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University School of Medicine Business Office Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Devin Erlandson.
Date
2014-05-08
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2014-05-12: Finding aid revised by Casey Westerman.

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA