Skip to main content

Burt R. Shurly M.D. Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WSP000166
This collection consists of correspondence, clippings, photographs related to Dr. Burt Shurly's career with Wayne State University's School of Medicine.

Dates

  • 1823 - 1950
  • Majority of material found within 1914 - 1945

Creator

Language of Materials

Material in primarily in English with some Polish.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

0.75 Linear Feet (1 MB, 2 OS)

Abstract

Burt Shurly was born in Chicago on July 4, 1871, son of Edmund Richard P. and Augusta (Godwin Shurly and grandson of Jon Martin and Elizabeth Catherine (Chumley) Shurly. After receiving his preliminary education at Northwestern Military Academy, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Burt R. Shurly graduated with his B.S. at the University of Wisconsin in 1894 and M.D. at the Detroit College of Medicine in 1895 and spent 1896 engaged in postgraduate study at the University of Vienna. He interned at Harper Hospital in Detroit and then began the practice of medicine in association with his uncle Ernest L. Shurly with an initial focus on tuberculosis later to focus on diseases of the eye, ear, nose, throat and chest. One of the most notable things that Shurly did was to serve as the director of the Carl E. Schmidt Base Hospital No. 36 in Vittel, France during World War I. Base Hospital 36 as it was known was the largest base hospital unit ever formed to that point. He passed away on October 20, 1950.

History

Burt Shurly was born in Chicago on July 4, 1871, son of Edmund Richard P. and Augusta (Godwin Shurly and grandson of Jon Martin and Elizabeth Catherine (Chumley) Shurly, natives of England who came to the United States in 1834 and settled in Brooklyn, N.Y. His father was an army officer. After receiving his preliminary education at Northwestern Military Academy, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Burt R. Shurly graduated with his B.S. at the University of Wisconsin in 1894 and M.D. at the Detroit College of Medicine in 1895 and spent 1896 engaged in postgraduate study at the University of Vienna. He interned at Harper Hospital in Detroit and then began the practice of medicine in association with his uncle Ernest L. Shurly with an initial focus on tuberculosis later to focus on diseases of the eye, ear, nose, throat and chest. In 1900 he was appointed to the faculty of the Detroit College of Medicine as professor and director of the department of rhinology, laryngology and otology. He served in this capacity until 1913. This was the year that the institution experienced financial difficulties. To solve this problem Shurly bought the college and reorganized it as the Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery. In 1916 he then gave the College to the city of Detroit, which later incorporated it as a unit of Wayne University. At the school he inaugurated pre-medical training. From 1919 to 1949 he organized and became secretary and professor of otolaryngology at the Detroit Postgraduate School of Medicine. In 1915 he organized and became chief of staff of the Detroit Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital (which grew and survived until it closed its doors in 1948) Shurly also founded the Detroit Tuberculosis Society, which ultimately led to the establishment of the Detroit Tuberculosis Sanatorium in 1911 and the Leland Sanatorium of Ypsilanti in 1926. He was the vice-president and treasurer and later president of the Detroit Tuberculosis Sanatorium and became the consulting physician and the Leland Sanatorium. Shurly served in military distinction as a medical professional in several capacities. He enlisted in the Michigan State Naval Brigade in 1897 as an apothecary, and upon the outbreak of the Spanish American War was appointed assistant brigade surgeon, serving with his unit aboard the USS Yosemite, soon to become a lieutenant, chief surgeon, and fleet surgeon. One of the most notable things that Shurly did was to serve as the director of the Carl E. Schmidt Base Hospital No. 36 in Vittel, France during World War I. Base Hospital 36 as it was known was the largest base hospital unit ever formed to that point. In this capacity Shurly received two silver medals from the French government and a letter from General John J. Pershing, U.S. Army general who commanded the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) in Europe during World War I. In addition to his professional medical pursuits he was active with the Detroit Board of Education – first joining in 1927, as well as serving president for a number of years. He was active with the Detroit Board of Education until his death in 1950. Shurly ran for office on an anti-Prohibition ticket for Michigan’s Fourteenth Congressional District in 1932 (in the last year of Prohibition). He also served as the director of the Palms-Book Land Company and the Palms Realty Company. Burt Shurly was married to Viola Palms in Detroit in 1905. They had five children: Marie Godwin; Beatrice Augusta; Burt Russell; Edmund Richard P. and Fredericka P. The family first lived in Detroit’s eastside Indian Village neighborhood and then moved to Grosse Ile. Burt Shurly was very active in his profession in professional organizations related to the medical profession. He was also active in the community and served in a number of service capacities, including the American Legion, the Masons, Delta Upsilon, Nu Sigma Nu, Detroit Athletic Club, the Prismatic Club, Inter-Collegiate Alumni Clubs – among others. He passed away on October 20, 1950.

Arrangement

Arranged in alphabetical order by subject.

Acquisition

The records of Burt Russell Shurly, M.D. were placed in the University Archives in one shipment in 1967 and opened for research in 2018.

Related Materials

36th General Hospital Records

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Alison Stankrauff on March 15, 2018.
Title
Guide to the Burt R. Shurly M.D. Papers
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Alison Stankrauff.
Date
2018-03-14
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA