Skip to main content

JCA: Hillel of Metro Detroit Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001815
This collection documents part of the history of WSU Hillel and Hillel of Metropolitan Detroit. This collection is broken down into two series:

Series 1: Hillel of Metro Detroit, 1953-2013. Consists of reports, meeting minutes, financial records, correspondence, newsletters, programmatic material, photographs, slides, CDs, scrapbooks, and other records created by the HMD organization. These records are administrative in nature as well as recording the student members and activities of the organization and the impact this organization has had on the Metro Detroit area. Included are records from Eastern Michigan University, Oakland University, and Wayne State University.

Series 2: WSU Hillel, 1943-2001. The second series consists of records primarily relating to Wayne State Hillel. Included are correspondence, programmatic material, reports, financial records, property records, student activities, photographs, audio reels, VHS, cassette tapes, slides, blueprints, and posters.

Dates

  • 1943 - 2013

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

13.5 Linear Feet (9 MB, 6 SB, 1 OS)

Abstract

The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.



The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel; As of 2017 it is known as Hillel of Metro Detroit (HMD). The HMD office is located in the Student Center at WSU, however it serves six local college campuses: Lawrence Technological University, Oakland Community College, Oakland University, University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan-Dearborn, and Wayne State University.



HMD caters to both commuter and non-traditional students, ages 18-29. It offers opportunities to connect with the Jewish community and other Jewish people through interactive programs, both on the six campuses they serve and in the community. In 1998, HMD became the first Michigan Jewish Student organization to earn accreditation.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into 2 series. Series 1 (Boxes 1-10). Series 2 (Boxes 11-16). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

The Leonard N. Simmons Jewish Community Archives deposited 4 linear feet of this collection to the Walter P. Reuther Library on 2003-06-03 and 7 linear feet on 2017-07-11.

Related Materials

Collections in the Jewish Community Archives at the Reuther Library, including Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Records.

Transfers

Boxes 9, 15 were transferred to the Reuther AV department for storage. It contains audio reels, VHS tapes, cassette tapes, slides and negatives.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Elizabeth Nicholson on September 20, 2017.
Title
Guide to the JCA: Hillel of Metro Detroit Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Elizabeth Nicholson.
Date
2017-09-20
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA