Maurice Kelman Papers
Important subjects in the collection: Afro-American police--Michigan--Detroit Campaign funds--Michigan--Detroit Cavanagh, Jerome P. Detroit Boat Club/Yacht Club v. City of Detroit Detroit Charter Revision Commission Detroit (Mich.) riot, 1967 Discrimination in employment--Law and legislation--Michigan Discrimination in housing--Michigan--Detroit Elections--Michigan--Detroit Gun control--Michigan--Detroit McCree, Wade H., Jr. Police--Complaints against--Michigan--Detroit Police--Selection and appointment--Michigan Race relations--Michigan--Detroit Thomas Cooley Law School Young, Coleman A. Young v. Edwards
Important correspondents in the collection: Jerome P. Cavanagh Coleman A. Young
Collection includes a 1971 interview recording and transcript with Ray Girardin. Girardin talks about his career as a crime reporter with The Detroit Times and as Detroit police commissioner during the 1967 civil unrest, which he describes in detail over its unfolding, from his perspective as a law officer. (Advisory: Contains profanity.)
- 1943 - 2012
- Majority of material found within 1968 - 1974
- Kelman, Maurice (Person)
Language of Materials
Rules for Use of Archival Materials.
RESTRICTIONS: Due to the personal nature of oral history, the Library prohibits use of the material in any way that infringes on individual right to privacy, or results in libelous statements or slander, in accordance with U.S. law.
Permission to publish or quote must be obtained from the interviewee or interviewee heirs or assigns.
7.25 Linear Feet ((6 SB, 1 printed transcript, 9 reels), 9 audiocassettes.) : Recordings on magnetic audio tape.
479.7 Megabytes ((1 file).) : Consists of a WAV file.
14.25 Linear Feet (11 SB, 1 MB, 1 OS) : Part 2
Part 2 of the Collection spans the years of 1943 to 2012, including materials from Kelman's early life attending Durfee Intermediate and Cass Technical High Schools, further education at the University of Michigan, Wayne State University, and Harvard Law School, up through his entire professional career. This Collection contains his numerous publications, work concerning Elected Officeholder Expense Funds, Ray Girardin interview transcripts, and features his passion for drawing and cartoons. Important subjects include: Kwame Kilpatrick, Coleman A. Young, Jerome P. Cavanagh, Ray Girardin, and Wade H. McCree Jr.
Collection includes a 1971 interview recording and transcript with Ray Girardin who served as Detroit police commissioner for five years under Mayor Jerome Cavanagh. Prior to his police career he was a crime reporter. Girardin talks about his career as a crime reporter with The Detroit Times and as Detroit police commissioner during the 1967 civil unrest, which he describes in detail over its unfolding, from his perspective as a law officer. (Advisory: Contains profanity.)
In 1971, history professor Maurice Kelman conducted an oral history interview with Ray Girardin. Girardin served as Detroit police commissioner for five years under Mayor Jerome Cavanagh. Prior to his police career he was a crime reporter.
Transcript arranged alphabetically by surname with other individual oral history transcripts at the Walter P. Reuther Library.
- Cavanagh, Jerome P.
- Cavanagh, Mark
- Detroit (Mich.)
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government
- Detroit (Mich.)--Race relations
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1967
- Jews. American
- Law -- Study and teaching
- Michigan -- Politics and government
- Oral histories
- Sound recordings
- Young, Coleman A.
- Guide to the Guide to the Maurice Kelman Papers
- Part 1 processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library. Finding aid revised by Rebecca Bizonet on May 11, 2016. Updated by Deborah Rice on March 21, 2017 to reflect accurate physical extent of oral history recordings. Part 2 processed and finding aid written by Elizabeth Nicholson.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Description made possible by funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
- 2016-05-11: Finding aid revised by Rebecca Bizonet to include Ray Girardin oral history description.
- 2017-03-21: Finding aid revised by Deborah Rice to include new accession of Ray Girardin recordings
- 2019-08-05: Finding aid revised by Elizabeth Nicholson to include Part 2 of the collection.