Skip to main content

United Foundation Campaign Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002533

Scope and Content

The United Foundation Campaign Department Records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes, proposals, program and event materials, and committee information reflecting the operations of the department, including the United Foundation’s relationship with participating agencies and the processes by which agencies requested and received funding from the United Foundation.

Important Subjects: Capital Fund Division Combined Federal Campaign Committee on Fund Distribution Economic Survey Committee Fund Raising Committee Implementation Committee Labor Participation Committee Pacesetter Unit Plan Torch Drive UF Special Study Committee Urban Progress Fund Working Together Program Workplace Presence Program

Important Names: Cousin, Jacques Hall, James L. Howell, H. Clay Laidlaw, Walter C. Russell, Thomas F.
Series Description: Series 1: Committees and Events, 1950-1991 Series 2: Programs and Administration, 1955-1995 Series 3: Capital Fund Division, 1963-1983= Series 4: Campaign Materials, 1951-1990

Dates

  • 1950 - 1995
  • Majority of material found within 1965 - 1989

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

History

Walter C. Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund-raising efforts and to generate mass fund-raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, when it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its association with the national United Way. It was known as the United Way for Southeastern Michigan until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, when it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Office of the President was responsible for overseeing and directing the various departments within the United Foundation. As the founder of the United Foundation, Walter C. Laidlaw served in this office from its inception in 1948 until his retirement in 1968. Upon his exit, H. Clay Howell succeeded Laidlaw as President of the United Foundation.

Extent

47 Linear Feet (47 SB)

Abstract

Walter C. Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund-raising efforts and to generate mass fund-raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, when it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its association with the national United Way. It was known as the United Way for Southeastern Michigan until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, when it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Office of the President was responsible for overseeing and directing the various departments within the United Foundation. As the founder of the United Foundation, Walter C. Laidlaw served in this office from its inception in 1948 until his retirement in 1968. Upon his exit, H. Clay Howell succeeded Laidlaw as President of the United Foundation.

The United Foundation Campaign Department Records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes, proposals, program and event materials, and committee information reflecting the operations of the department, including the United Foundation’s relationship with participating agencies and the processes by which agencies requested and received funding from the United Foundation.

Arrangement

Arranged in 4 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-12), Series 2 (Boxes 12-25), Series 3 (Boxes 26-40), and Series 4 (Boxes 40-47). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

The United Foundation Campaign Department Records were deposited in the Reuther Library in multiple accessions in 1987, 1991, 1994, and 1998.

Related Materials

United Community Services, United Foundation, and United Way collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Julia Teran on September 2, 2015.
Title
Guide to the United Foundation Campaign Department Records
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by Julia Teran.
Date
2015-09-02
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA