Skip to main content

United Foundation Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002534
The United Foundation Communications Department oversaw the creation of campaign materials, press releases, and marketing strategies for the United Foundation and it’s associated agencies. This collection, which is closely related to the United Foundation Campaign Department’s records, consists of the Communication Department’s administrative and strategic files, collateral materials from various advertising campaigns, collateral materials for associated charitable organizations, and extensive photographic and audiovisual materials utilized in UF campaigns from the 1950s to 1992.
Series Description: Series 1: Communications Department Administrative Files, 1948-1998 Series 2: Marketing Materials & Collateral, 1949- 1995 Series 3: Newspaper Coverage & Press Releases, 1955-1992 Series 4: Associated Agencies Marketing Materials & Collateral, 1941-1992 Series 5: Biographic & Data Files, 1961-1988 Series 6: United Foundation & Associated Agencies Photographic Files, 1954-1994 Series 7: United Foundation Film & Audio Materials, 1952-1992

Dates

  • 1941 - 1998
  • Majority of material found within 1960 - 1991

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

46 Linear Feet (45 SB, 1 MB, 1 OS)

Abstract

The United Foundation (UF) has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The UF, called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan after it’s official name change in 1989, was formed in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charities, and came to be affiliated with the national United Way organization in 1970. UF was an umbrella organization providing funding for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and worked closely with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit (UCS), which was primarily concerned with streamlining and planning the delivery of social services in the city. The two merged in 1995 to create the UWCS, which existed until 2005, when the UWCS merged with the United Way of Oakland County to create a new body once again called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan. This final incarnation exists to this day.

The United Foundation Communications Department oversaw the creation of campaign materials, press releases, and marketing strategies for the United Foundation and it’s associated agencies. This collection, which is closely related to the United Foundation Campaign Department’s records, consists of the Communication Department’s administrative and strategic files, collateral materials from various advertising campaigns, collateral materials for associated charitable organizations, and extensive photographic and audiovisual materials utilized in UF campaigns from the 1950s to 1992.

History

The United Foundation (UF) has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The UF, called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan after it’s official name change in 1989, was formed in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charities, and came to be affiliated with the national United Way organization in 1970. UF was an umbrella organization providing funding for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and worked closely with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit (UCS), which was primarily concerned with streamlining and planning the delivery of social services in the city. The two merged in 1995 to create the UWCS, which existed until 2005, when the UWCS merged with the United Way of Oakland County to create a new body once again called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan. This final incarnation exists to this day.

Arrangement

Arranged in 7 series- Series 1 (Boxes 1-11), Series 2 (Boxes 11-15), Series 3 (Boxes 15-21), Series 4 (Boxes 21-23), Series 5 (Boxes 23-24), Series 6 (Boxes 24-26), and Series 7 (Boxes 27-47). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

Records deposited by the United Foundation/United Way for Southeastern Michigan and United Way Community Services in various installments throughout 1987, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1999.

Related Materials

United Community Services, United Foundation, and United Way Collections, especially the United Foundation Campaign Department Records and United Community Services Communications Department Records.

Transfers

3 – 16 mm copies of “It’s Happening,” starring the Supremes, have been removed to the Audiovisual Department’s Film Vault. See MPL-567, MPL-567.1, and MPL-567.2

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Kris Kniffen on October 28, 2015.
Title
Guide to the United Foundation Communications Department Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Kris Kniffen.
Date
2015-10-28
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA