Skip to main content

United Foundation Operations Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002535
The United Foundation Operations Department Records consists of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, forms, evaluations, and other paper materials documenting the operational functions of the United Foundation and many of its component departments. The materials span the tenures of two Operations Department directors, John E. Hall and James A. Ridge, with the bulk of the materials relating to the department under the direction of Ridge. The collection contains reference files on United Foundation agencies and initiatives, as well as materials relating primarily to the organization’s Administration and Communications Departments.

Important Names: Hall, John E. Ridge, James A.
Series Description: Series 1: John E. Hall Files, 1968-1981 Series 2: James A. Ridge Files, 1962-1993 Subseries A: Alphabetical Files, 1962-1993 Subseries B: Communications Files, 1979-1993 Subseries C: Administration Files, 1981-1990 Subseries D: Volunteer Leadership Development, 1987-1990

Dates

  • 1962 - 1993
  • Majority of material found within 1979 - 1992

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

36.5 Linear Feet (36 SB, 1 MB)

Abstract

Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, at which time it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its associated with the national United Way. It was known as such until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, at which point it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Operations Department administered the internal operations of the United Foundation, including daily operations, communications between departments, and initiatives to improve the internal operation of the Foundation, rather than its relationship with community agencies and other external agents.

The United Foundation Operations Department Records consists of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, forms, evaluations, and other paper materials documenting the operational functions of the United Foundation and many of its component departments. The materials span the tenures of two Operations Department directors, John E. Hall and James A. Ridge, with the bulk of the materials relating to the department under the direction of Ridge. The collection contains reference files on United Foundation agencies and initiatives, as well as materials relating primarily to the organization’s Administration and Communications Departments.

History

Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, at which time it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its associated with the national United Way. It was known as such until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, at which point it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Operations Department administered the internal operations of the United Foundation, including daily operations, communications between departments, and initiatives to improve the internal operation of the Foundation, rather than its relationship with community agencies and other external agents.

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-4), Series 2 (Boxes 4-37). Series 2 is further divided into 4 subseries. Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

Acquired from the United Foundation in multiple installments in 1991, 1992, 1994, and 1997.

Related Materials

United Community Services, United Foundation, and United Way collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by [Walter P. Reuther Library] on [Month Day, Year].
Title
Guide to the United Foundation Operations Department Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Dallas Pillen.
Date
2014-12-22
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2015-11-02: Modified by Kris Kniffen.

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA