The United Automobile Workers began organizing aircraft plants in the late 1930s and early 1940s. In 1943, The Aircraft Department was officially established to coordinate organizing and bargaining in the aircraft industry. During the 1940s and fifties, the UAW competed with the International Association of Machinists, an AFL union which had organized many west coast aircraft plants, in organizing aircraft workers. In 1956, the IAM and UAW made peace and created the Joint Planning and Coordinating Committee, which played an important role in subsequent aircraft negotiations. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, when the aircraft industry began producing missiles and space technology, the UAW Aircraft Department changed its name to the Aerospace Department.