Skip to main content

Children's Hospital of Michigan Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001244
The papers of the Children's Hospital of Michigan collection document the part played by the hospital in providing health care for the children of Detroit from 1886 through the 1970s. The collection also contains information on the administration of the hospital and the evolution of many of its service departments.

Subjects covered in the collection are: Board of Trustees Children's Fund of Michigan Couzens Clinic Metropolitan Detroit Building Fund Michigan Convalescent Home Nurses' Training Programs

Among the important correspondents are: Dr. Thomas Cooley James Couzens Mrs. Couzens Slattery Dr. Icie Macy Hoobler Dr. Grover Penberthy Resident Teaching Programs Social Service Legislation United Community Services United Foundation Volunteer Service Department Women's Auxiliary Margaret Rogers Governor G. Mennen Williams Dr. Paul Woolley, Jr. Dr. Wolf Zuelzer

Series Description: Series I, Children's Free Hospital, 1886-1922: Booklets, correspondence, clippings, reports and other items relating to the operation of the Children's Free Hospital. In addition, there is material on the Van Leuvan Browne School and the Michigan Hospital School for Crippled Children. Oversized materials covering this period such as bound minute books and log books are located in Series V.

Series II, Children's Hospital of Michigan Reports, 1922-1986: Sub series A, Annual Reports, 1934-1986: Yearly statistical records provided by each department within the hospital, documenting annual output. Sub series B, Financial and Statistical Reports, 1934-1963: Financial, statistical and budgetary reports covering all aspects of the financial operation of Children's Hospital. This also includes budget and expense reports from the Michigan Convalescent Home in Farmington.

Series III, Children's Hospital of Michigan General Office Files, 1940-1980: Files consisting of correspondence and reports relating to the medical, non-medical and nursing staff, research programs and fund raising campaigns.

Series IV, Children's Hospital Committee Meeting Minutes, 1922-1971: Monthly committee reports of various committees functioning at Children's Hospital. Most notably are minutes from the Board of Trustees and the Medical Advisory Committee.

Series V, Printed and Oversized Materials, 1886-1980: Published works on The Children's Free Hospital, The Children's Hospital of Michigan, and on medicine and medical history. Included within this series are: books, pediatric journals, scrapbooks, published yearly reports, pamphlets, clippings and biographical data pertaining to the hospital's physicians. In addition, there are oversized ledgers and log books relating to the hospital's early history from 1886 to 1924.
Part 2: Series I, James Couzens Files, 1921-1936: Clippings, correspondence, reports and other items relating to Couzens' role as President, Honorary President and Trustee of Children's Hospital of Michigan from 1921 until his death in 1936. These papers document the early years of Children's Hospital of Michigan.

Series II, Children's Hospital of Michigan General Subject Files, 1922-1989: Files consist of brochures, correspondence, minutes and reports relating to the medical and non-medical staff, fundraising campaigns, The Detroit Medical Center and other topics. Also included are files of the Child Research Center of Michigan.
Part 3: The materials included in Part 3 of Children's Hospital of Michigan records document the activities of the hospitals’ Board of Trustees; its various administrative committees; and its fundraising efforts, with the bulk of the records dating from between 1970 and 2004. Materials include committee minutes; reports; correspondence; photographs of doctors, patients and special events; and marketing materials. Series 1: Committee Minutes and Hospital Planning, 1920-2013 Series 2: Fund raising, 1961-1987 Subseries A: Reports, Correspondence, and Finances, 1964-1987 Subseries B: Charitable Foundations and Donor Files, 1961-1987 Series 3: Audio Visual Materials, 1992-2011 Subseries A: Photographs and Publications, 1992-2011 Subseries B: Audio and Video Cassettes, 1994-2007 Subseries C: Ephemera, 2007-2011

Dates

  • 1886 - 2013

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

44.5 Linear Feet (50 MB, 13 SB, 9 OS, 1 pkg.)

2,158.7 Megabytes (2,365 Files)

Abstract

Children's Hospital of Michigan was conceived and founded in 1886 as the Children's Free Hospital Association after a general practitioner, Dr. Charles Devandorf, realized that there were no facilities in the Detroit community which provided for the medical care of sick children of indigent parents. He sought the support of a group of socially prominent women whom he asked to provide funds to subsidize "free beds" for the care of such children. They began with just twelve beds at Harper Hospital in the Nancy Harper Ward. In keeping with Detroit’s industrial growth, however, the hospital has steadily increased in size and prominence as time went on. Today the hospital is a proud member of the Detroit Medical Center, with 228 beds; internationally renowned research and training facilities; and numerous outpatient, specialty and rehabilitation centers in the Metro Detroit area.

Material in this collection related to the history of Children's Hospital of Michigan.

The materials included in Part 3 of Children's Hospital of Michigan records document the activities of the hospitals’ Board of Trustees; its various administrative committees; and its fundraising efforts, with the bulk of the records dating from between 1970 and 2004. Materials include committee minutes; reports; correspondence; photographs of doctors, patients and special events; and marketing materials.

History

Children's Hospital of Michigan was conceived and founded in 1886 as the Children's Free Hospital Association after a general practitioner, Dr. Charles Devandorf, realized that there were no facilities in the Detroit community which provided for the medical care of sick children of indigent parents.

He sought the support of a group of socially prominent women whom he asked to provide funds to subsidize "free beds" for the care of such children. They began with twelve beds at Harper Hospital in the Nancy Harper Ward and in two years had expanded to 34 endowed beds. An additional ward was made available on another floor at Harper Hospital for the care and isolation of children with contagious diseases.

By 1890 the hospital moved to the Caskey House at Fort and Seventh Streets. Later, an adjacent house, the Pope House, was leased and became the contagious disease hospital, and a large nearby barn was annexed and functioned as an outdoor dispensary.

In 1893, when they had outgrown these facilities, the Association approached Mr. Hiram Walker for funds with which to build a Children's Free Hospital. Several Detroit physicians, and the Board of Trustees of the Children's Free Hospital Association persuaded Mr. Walker to buy land and contribute $125,000 for the new hospital. He stipulated that $65,000 be allocated for the new building and the remaining money be set aside to support hospital operations and accumulate interest for additions to the structure. In June, 1896, the new building, situated at St. Antoine and Farnsworth, was dedicated.

While operating in the new building the Training School for Nursemaids was begun. By 1915 a Training School for Nurses was established, along with a Social Service Department, Physical Therapy Department and a Dental Clinic.

With the industrial growth of Detroit, Children' Free Hospital had further critical need for space for patients and for development of services. James Couzens agreed to give a $1,000.000 building fund if the Association would merge with the Michigan Hospital School in Farmington, to which he had given an annual contribution. This was done, and in 1922 the Children's Hospital of Michigan was adopted as the name of the new corporation. The Michigan Hospital School then became the Michigan Convalescent Home. The building program was begun in 1922 and completed by 1927. Mr. Couzens also stipulated that services must not be limited to the indigent, but open to all children and their doctors.

Rapid growth and development followed. In 1922 the research laboratories of the Merrill-Palmer School were located at Children's Hospital. Dr. Icie Macy Hoobler headed the laboratories at Children's Hospital, focusing her research on children's nutrition and chemical growth processes. In 1925 The Children's Fund of Michigan was organized and began its program of cooperative research with the hospital. In 1954, the Children's Fund was replaced by the Children's Research Center to continue scientific research in pediatric medicine.

In 1957, Children's Hospital became affiliated with the Wayne State University College of Medicine for teaching purposes. Wayne faculty in pediatrics, surgery for children and research in children's diseases carried full-time staff assignments at the hospital.

Starting in the late 1950s, through many extensive fund raising campaigns, the hospital was able to expand its services, including the construction of a new complex located within the Medical Center area on Beaubien Boulevard. In March of 1971, the new complex was dedicated.

Arrangement

Part 1: Arranged in 5 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-2), Series 2 (Boxes 3-13), Series 3 (Boxes 13-22), Series 4 (Boxes 22-28), and Series 5 (Boxes 28-43 and Package 44). Folders are arranged chronologically or alphabetically depending upon the series.

Series 2 is divided into 2 subseries.
Part 2: Arranged in 2 series - Series 1 (Boxes 1-3), and Series 2 (Boxes 3-7). Note that boxes begin renumbering in part 2. Folders are arranged chronologically or alphabetically depending upon the series.
Part 3: The collection is arranged into 3 series and 5 subseries. Folders in each subseries are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each subseries. Series 1: Committee Minutes and Hospital Planning, 1920-2013 (Box 1-5) Series 2: Fund raising, 1961-1987 (Box 5-9) Subseries A: Reports, Correspondence, and Finances, 1964-1987 (Box 5-6) Subseries B: Charitable Foundations and Donor Files, 1961-1987 (Box 6-9) Series 3: Audio Visual Materials, 1992-2011 (Box 10-15) Subseries A:Photographs and Publications, 1992-2011 (Box 10-12) Subseries B: Audio and Video Cassettes, 1994-2007 (Box 13-14) Subseries C: Ephemera, 2007-2011 (Box 15)

Acquisition

The papers of the Children's Hospital of Michigan were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs in July of 1985 by Dr. Jack Hertzler. Additional papers added in April 1990.

Part 3 The material was donated by the Children's Hospital of Michigan in several installments between 1994 and 2016.

Transfers

Photographs relating to The Children's Free Hospital, The Michigan Convalescent Home, and The Children's Hospital of Michigan have been placed in the Children's Hospital of Michigan Collection. There is also a collection of Children's Hospital of Michigan memorabilia containg some items of early medical equipment and other objects connected with Children's Hospital.
Part 3: Two boxes of negatives, photographic slides, and audio and video casettes have been transfered to the audiovisual department. Their contents are listed at the end of the inventory. Additional photograph and music files can be found in the Reuther Digital Repository. This material is listed at the end of the inventory, or noted in the title of the folder from which it originally came.

Index to subjects and correspondence

(Correspondence is maked with an *)
  • Adler, Alfred, Pt. II 2:8, 2:12
  • Afflicted Adult Act, 19:8-14, 20:1-5
  • Afflicted Children Act, 19:8-14, 20:1-5
  • Babies Convalescent Summer Home, 2:13
  • Bath, Michigan; Bombing, Pt. II, 2:7
  • Board of Trustees, 14:6-9, 22:15, Box 23
  • Chauvin, Francis X., Pt. II 7: 5-7
  • Child Research Center of Michigan, 13:1-8, 19:1-3, Pt. II 4:5-13
  • Child Welfare League of America, Pt. II, 3:3
  • Children's Hospital Dedication, 15:4-9, 16:7-8, 18:5, 19:4
  • Children's Fund of Michigan, 3:8, 9:15-16, 15:1-3, Pt II 4:14-16 See Also: Norton, William J. Commonwealth Fund; Child Health Demonstration, Pt II 2:4-6
  • Community Health Association, 15:12-13
  • Cooley, Dr. Thomas B., 15:1, 29:10-11, Pt. II 4:17
  • *Couzens, James, 3:1-2, 15:1, Box 39, Pt. II Box 1, Box 2, 3:1-9
  • Couzen's Clinic; Groundbreaking, Pt. II 4-18
  • Cradle Society, Pt. II 2:10
  • Crippled Children Act, 20:1-5, Pt. II 1:23
  • Dental Program, Pt. II 1:23, 2:6-7, 3:5
  • Detroit Association of Charities, 1:3
  • The Detroit Cerebral Palsy Center, 15:16-17
  • Detroit Community Fund, Pt. II 1-17
  • Devendorf, Dr. C. A., 1:1-5, 29:10, Pt II 4-17
  • Dunbar Memorial Hospital, 1:6, 1:21
  • Farmington Convalescent Home. See Michigan Convalescent Home Ford Foundation, 14:12, 16:1,3, 19:1-3
  • Fresh Air Society, Pt. II 2:4, 2:6, 2:8
  • Fundraising Campaigns, 16:3-5, 28:11-18, 29:1-6, Pt. II 1:1, 1:5
  • Galley, John Knox, Pt. II 4:23
  • Harper Hospital, 16:6
  • Herzler, Jack, Pt. II 3:23, 5:1
  • *Hoobler, Dr. Icie Macy, 13:20, 14:6, 22:14
  • Individual Psychiatric Foundation, Pt. II 2:8, 2:12
  • Institute of Character Research, Pt II 2:7-8
  • Kellogg, Siron W. 2:1
  • Ledyard, H. B., Box 1, 28:11-18
  • *Levin Sander M., 20:4,5
  • Ronald MacDonald House, Pt. II 3:23
  • McGregor, Tracy, 2:12
  • Medical Center, 16:16-18, 28:18, 29:1, Pt. II 4:20-21
  • Metropolitan Detroit Building Fund, 16:19, 23:16, 28:17
  • Michigan Child Welfare League, Pt. II 1:4
  • Michigan Convalescent Home: Annual Reports, Boxes 3-8; Construction costs, Box 42; Expenditures, 12:6-11, Pt. II 1:8, 1:14, 1:18, 1:20-22, 1:24, 1:26, 2:1, 2:3, 2:14; lease to State, 15:22; publicity, 28:14-17
  • Michigan Department of Public Instruction: Division of Rehabilitation, Pt. II 1:15, 1:22
  • Michigan Hospital School, 2:6,10,13, 29:8, Box 42, Pt. II 1:1-2, 1:4, 1:6, 1:9
  • Michigan Crippled Children Commission, 14:10-17, 19:1-3
  • Michigan Society for Crippled Children, Pt. II 1:14, 1:23, 3:7-8
  • National Council of Jewish Women's Summer Play School; Detroit Branch, Pt. II 2:4
  • Northern Michigan Children's Clinic, Pt. II 2:15
  • *Norton, William J., 2:4, 22:14, 28:15, Pt. 2 1:3-4, 2:1, 2:5-13, 2:15-20, 2:22-23, 3:1-3, 3:6-9 Nursing Education, 17:9-12
  • Nursing Administration, 17:6-8
  • Penberthy, Dr. Grover, 18:4, 29:11, Pt. II 6:11
  • Playgound and Recreation Association of America, Pt. II 2:5
  • Public Relations, 20:6-7
  • School for Nursemaids, 1:11
  • School of Nursing, 1:16, 2:1,9, 15:11
  • Slattery, Mrs. Gerard, 14:6-9, 28:11-18, 29:1-6
  • *Slattery, Mrs. Gerard. See Board of Trustees Social Service Department, 2:1-2, Box 43
  • State Emergency Welfare Relief Commission of Michigan, Pt. II 3:4
  • United Community Services, 14:10-17, 21:9-16
  • United Foundation, 21:14-15, 17-21
  • Van Leuven Browne Hospital School, 2:11-14, 3:1, 29:8, Box 42, Box 44
  • Volunteer Service Department, 22:1-4
  • *Walker, Hiram, 1:11, 28:4-9, Pt. II 1:8, 7:4-7
  • Wayne State School of Medicine, 6:17, 23:17
  • White, George E., Pt. II 5:1
  • *Williams, Governor G. Mennen, 19:8,9, 20:3-4
  • Women's Auxiliary, 22:6-11, 28:11-18
  • Woolley, Dr. Paul Jr., 22:12, 29:11


Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in September 1986.
Part II: Part 2 processed and finding aid updated by Walter P. Reuther Library in April 1990.
Part III: Part 3 processed and finding aid written by Kris Kniffen on January 11, 2016.
Title
Guide to the Children's Hospital of Michigan Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library and Kris Kniffen.
Date
1986-09
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 1990-04: Part 2 processed and finding aid updated.
  • 2020-02: Part 3 added and finding aid updated

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA