Skip to main content

JCA Sinai Hospital Guild Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001748
The collection documents the activities of the Guild through minutes, brochures, and other materials that Guild generated while they were at Sinai Hospital in Detroit. Also included are scrapbooks and photographs.

Dates

  • 1952 - 2000

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

31.5 Linear Feet (45 MB, 9 OS)

Abstract

Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, appointed by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until the hospital was closed.

History

In 1952 the Sinai Hospital Board of Trustees appointed Mrs. Joseph Erlich to activate a Women’s Auxiliary. Acting as Provisional Chair, Mrs. Erlich chose 36 women from several Jewish community organizations to serve as board members of the Auxiliary. At the Board’s first meeting the following slate of officers was unanimously elected: Mrs. Hyman C. Broder (Celia)--president Mrs. Julian Krolik (Bess)--vice president Mrs. Joseph Hartman (Mollie)--vice president Mrs. Joseph Fenton (Helen)--vice president Mrs. B. Benedict Glazer (Ada)--corresponding secretary Mrs. Benjamin Jones (Esther)--recording secretary Mrs. Wiilliam P. Greenberg (Rose)--treasurer Mrs. Abe Katzman (Bea)--financial secretary Mrs. Isadore Winkelman (Beryl)--executive secretary

With the Guild Board in place, the process was begun to establish and train a corps of volunteers who would assist in patient, clerical, and general Sinai Hospital support. The Guild moved to Sinai-Grace Hospital in 2000, after Sinai Hospital was closed.

Arrangement

Materials are arranged alphabetically.

Related Materials

Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives.
Title
Guide to the JCA Sinai Hospital Guild Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA