Skip to main content

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Kresge Historical Library Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001066_Kresge
The papers of the Kresge Historical Library reflect the administration and operation of the Historical Library which included the Merrill-Palmer Archives. The papers of the Merrill-Palmer Archives reflect the history of the Institute, its educational programs, research, faculty, staff, and students, from the establishment of the Institute in 1920 until its affiliation with Wayne State University in 1981.

Important subjects covered in the collection are: Agricultural Missions Merrill-Palmer History Child Development Merrill-Palmer Faculty and Staff Child Nutrition Merrill-Palmer Nursery School Detroit Community Programs Merrill-Palmer Summer Camp Charles Freer House Merrill-Palmer Students Head Start Program Nursery Schools Marriage and Family Relations Parent Education Merrill-Palmer Corporation Publications

Among the important correspondents are: Helen Barnes William McKee Lawrence K. Frank Sarah Idell Pyle Icie Macy Hoobler J. William Rioux Pauline Park Wilson Knapp Mary Lou Stewart Esther McGuinnis

Series Description: Series I, The Merrill-Palmer Archives, 1911-1980: Correspondence, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, publications, and reports, relating to the Merrill-Palmer Institute.

Series II, Administrative Files, 1960-1979: Correspondence, newspaper clippings, reports, pamphlets, and other materials relating to the establishment and operation of the Kresge Historical Library.

Series III, Guest Registers, 1923-1981: Register ledgers for guests of the Merrill-Palmer Institute.

Series IV, Scrapbooks, 1955-1972: Newspaper clippings and press releases relating to the Merrill-Palmer Institute.

Dates

  • 1911 - 1980
  • Majority of material found within 1920 - 1980

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

73.5 Linear Feet (146 MB, 2 SB, 2 OS)

Abstract

Renamed in 1967 with a grant from the Kresge Foundation, the Kresge Memorial Library was first established as the Merrill-Palmer Historical Library. It's initial holdings consisted of the Ernest R. Groves and Edna Noble White collections and expanded over the years through private donations with a focus on preserving historical publications concerning research in child development and family life and adding an archives to maintain the Institute's records. The records of the library document the administration and operation of the library and archives and reflect the Institute's history, educational programs, research, faculty, staff, and students from its inception in 1920 up to its affiliation with Wayne State University in 1981.

History

The Kresge Historical Library was first established as the Merrill-Palmer Historical Library. On December 12, 1960, the Merrill-Palmer Institute held a meeting that led to the formation of the Historical Library Committee. This committee, chaired by Dr. Icie Macy Hoobler, was responsible for establishing and administering the Merrill-Palmer Historical Library. The Committee also decided that the primary focus of the Historical Library would be to preserve historical publications concerning research in child development and family life.

The Merrill-Palmer Institute Historical Library in Child Development and Family Life was formally dedicated on October 30, 1961. On this occasion, the Edna Noble White Memorial Lecture was delivered by Dr. Lawrence K. Frank. This was the first in a series of annual Historical Library lectures which featured some of the nation's most prominent scholars in the field of child development.

The initial holdings of the Historical Library consisted of the Ernest R. Groves Collection, purchased by the administration of the Institute for the Library, together with pre-1945 books, periodicals, and other publications which had constituted the Edna Noble White Collection in the Institute's Research Library. The collection was expanded over the years through private donations since the Historical Library Committee did not have a budget allocated by the Institute.

At the outset, the Historical Library was housed in the Institute's Program Building which adjoined the administrative facility, the Charles Freer house. In 1965, Dr. Sibley Hoobler presented the Institute with a gift of money to restore the Gallery, once the famous Peacock Room of the house, for the use of the Historical Library. In May of 1966, Mr. Stanley S. Kresge gave the Institute a grant from the Kresge Foundation to complete the project. The Historical Library was officially re-named and dedicated as the Kresge Historical Library in Child Development and Family Life on May 7, 1967.

In 1960 the administration of the Institute also approved the establishment of an archives to assemble, catalog, and maintain theInstitute's important historical records. Helen Barnes, the librarian of the Historical Library, with the help of Mary Sweeny, former faculty member, collected seventy linear feet of historical records from the files of the Institute's various departments and established the Merrill-Palmer Archives as part of the Historical Library.

Arrangement

Arranged in 4 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-140), Series 2 (Boxes 141-144), Series 3 (Boxes 145-147), and Series 4 (Boxes 148-150). Folders in series 1 and 2 are arranged alphabetically, then chronologically, and folders in series 3 and 4 are arranged chronologically.

Acquisition

The papers of the Kresge Historical Library were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs as part of the papers of the Merrill-Palmer Institute in January of 1982.

Related Materials

[List of related Reuther Library collections]

Transfers

Several paintings and three dimensional objects, and numerous photographs have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in April 1986.
Title
Guide to the Merrill-Palmer Institute: Kresge Historical Library Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1986-04
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA