Skip to main content

Wayne State University Detroit Teachers College Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000338
The records consist of reports, graduation exercise pamphlets, the college's first published quarterly review and a few clippings. A short history of the early years and development of the Detroit Teachers College is also included.

Dates

  • 1882 - 1933

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials.

Extent

.5 Linear Feet (1 MB)

Abstract

The Detroit Teachers College was an outgrowth of the Detroit Normal Training School which had its beginning in 1881. By 1920, due to increased enrollment and demand for more course offerings, Superintendent of Schools, Frank Cody, recommended that the Normal School become the Detroit Teachers College. Stuart Courtis was appointed dean.

Arrangement

Folders are arranged in original order.

Acquisition

Records of the Detroit Teachers College were placed in the University Archives by the College of Education. In addition, the first published edition of the "Quarterly Review" was donated by Evelyn Aschenbrenner.

Related Materials

Wayne State University collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Kris Kniffen on April 27, 2015.
Title
Guide to the Wayne State University Detroit Teachers College Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Kris Kniffen.
Date
2015-04-27
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA