Skip to main content

United Community Services Board of Directors Minutes

 Collection
Identifier: UR002464
The United Community Services Board of Directors Minutes collection consists of minutes from the meetings of the Board of Directors of UCS, the United Way Community Services, and its predecessors including the Associated Charities of Detroit, the Detroit Community Union, and the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit. It also contains meeting minutes from the Board of Directors of several of the fundraising organizations associated with UCS throughout its history, including the predecessors of the United Foundation: the Detroit Patriotic Fund, the Detroit Community Fund, the War Chest of Metropolitan Detroit, and the Community Chest. The materials in the collection demonstrate the activities of the governing bodies of those organizations, and contain information detailing their administrative functions including the decision making process behind proposed initiatives, programs, agencies, and mergers.

Important Subjects: Community-based social services Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit Detroit Community Union Detroit (Mich.) Public welfare Social service--Michigan--Detroit. United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit United Foundation (Detroit, Mich.)

Series Description: Series 1: United Community Services and Predecessors, 1906-1997 Series 2: Fundraising Organizations, 1918-1951

Dates

  • 1906 - 1997

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

9.5 Linear Feet (9 SB, 1 MB)

Abstract

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Board of Directors was the central governing body of UCS, and oversaw the administration and operation of the organization and its component departments. Members of the Board of Directors were responsible for determining the programs, policies, and organization of UCS.

The United Community Services Board of Directors Minutes collection consists of minutes from the meetings of the Board of Directors of UCS, the United Way Community Services, and its predecessors including the Associated Charities of Detroit, the Detroit Community Union, and the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit. It also contains meeting minutes from the Board of Directors of several of the fundraising organizations associated with UCS throughout its history, including the predecessors of the United Foundation: the Detroit Patriotic Fund, the Detroit Community Fund, the War Chest of Metropolitan Detroit, and the Community Chest. The materials in the collection demonstrate the activities of the governing bodies of those organizations, and contain information detailing their administrative functions including the decision making process behind proposed initiatives, programs, agencies, and mergers.

History

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Board of Directors was the central governing body of UCS, and oversaw the administration and operation of the organization and its component departments. Members of the Board of Directors were responsible for determining the programs, policies, and organization of UCS.

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-9), and Series 2 (Boxes 9-10). Folders are arranged chronologically by calendar year.

Related Materials

United Community Services and United Way collections

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Dallas Pillen on February 21, 2014.
Title
Guide to the United Community Services Board of Directors Minutes
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Dallas Pillen.
Date
2014-02-21
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA