Skip to main content

United Community Services Executive Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002463
The United Community Services Executive Office Records consist of materials from the tenure of three Executive Vice Presidents: Richard Huegli, John MacInnes, and Geneva Williams. The collection demonstrates the administrative functions of UCS, including correspondence with the directors of other UCS departments, correspondence concerning social welfare agencies, minutes documenting the proceedings of UCS committees, reports concerning UCS programs and special projects, and budgetary proposals to the United Foundation. The collection also contains some photographs of UCS leadership and of the founders of the Detroit Community Union.

Important Subjects: Community-based social services Detroit (Mich.) Public welfare Social service--Michigan--Detroit. United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit United Foundation (Detroit, Mich.)

Important Names: Huegli, Richard MacInnes, John Williams, Geneva

Series Description: Series 1: Richard Huegli, 1923- 1983 Series 2: John MacInnes, 1973-1993 Series 3: Geneva Williams, 1983-1995 Series 4: Audiovisual and Oversize Materials, 1917-1963

Dates

  • 1917 - 1995
  • Majority of material found within 1945 - 1995

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

88.25 Linear Feet (87 SB, 1 MB, 1 OS)

Abstract

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Executive Office oversaw the various departments within UCS, and was headed by the Executive Vice President, who was the managing director of the organization.

The United Community Services Executive Office Records consist of materials from the tenure of three Executive Vice Presidents: Richard Huegli, John MacInnes, and Geneva Williams. The collection demonstrates the administrative functions of UCS, including correspondence with the directors of other UCS departments, correspondence concerning social welfare agencies, minutes documenting the proceedings of UCS committees, reports concerning UCS programs and special projects, and budgetary proposals to the United Foundation. The collection also contains some photographs of UCS leadership and of the founders of the Detroit Community Union.

History

The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United Way Community Services in 1995, which merged with the United Way for Oakland County to become the United Way for Southeastern Michigan in 2005. UCS was an umbrella organization for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and sought to promote social services (including child care, family, health, recreation, and community planning) through the centralized planning, coordinating, and budgeting of those agencies. The Executive Office oversaw the various departments within UCS, and was headed by the Executive Vice President, who was the managing director of the organization.

Arrangement

Arranged in 4 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-48), Series 2 (Boxes 49-74), Series 3 (Boxes 75-88), and Series 4 (Box 89). Folders in each series are simply listed by their location within each box. They are not arranged, so any given subject may be dispersed throughout several boxes within each series.

Acquisition

Records were deposited by United Community Services primarily in 1983, 1985, 1987, 1992, and 1995.

Related Materials

United Community Services collections.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Dallas Pillen on February 21, 2014.
Title
Guide to the United Community Services Executive Office Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Dallas Pillen.
Date
2014-02-21
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA