Skip to main content

JCA: Adat Shalom Synagogue Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001692
These records reflect the activities of the congregation, its member organizations, and its spiritual leaders throughout the years. Papers include membership lists, cemetery records, data sheets on individuals who married, died, were confirmed and celebrated their Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Educational information including curriculum, as well as correspondence of the Rabbi and of those representing the congregation, is also included. Synagogue memorabilia includes an assortment of commemorative books, dedication volumes, certificates and photographs.
Series Description: Series 1, Synagogue Papers,1940-1979. Series 1 contains the papers of Adat Shalom Synagogue from its inception in the mid-1940s until the mid-1970s. Major instructional and spiritual activities of the membership, such as the High Holy Day activities and the Adult Study course, are included along with activities of the Men's Club and the Sisterhood. Minutes and correspondence pertaining to annual meetings from 1958 to 1974 are included.

Series 2, Rabbi Jacob Segal Papers, 1934-1975. This series contains the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal, who served the Adat Shalom congregation from 1947 until his death in 1975. His dream as spiritual leader of the young congregation led to that congregation’s development and place of prominence in the community. This series contains much of his correspondence, personal as well as professional, and an extensive collection of his vast writings used as public speeches, sermons and published papers. He saved quantities of material as potential resources for talks, which are also contained here.

Series 3, Executive Director Papers, 1949-1970s. The papers in this series came from the office of the Synagogue's Executive Director. They comprise an assortment of materials pertaining to all aspects of the congregation's operation during its first fifty years of operation. In addition to correspondence, lists, and minutes, this series contains a variety of certificates, mortgages, and commemorative books pertaining to the synagogue and memorabilia, such as the spectacles that belonged to Rabbi Jacob Segal. Series 4, Congregation Documents and Photos, 1940s-1990s. This series includes a variety of documents from synagogue activities and committees, papers relating to Ira Kaufman, and photos of the synagogue building, events and groups. There are several oversize posters relating to synagogue events and leadership groups.

Dates

  • 1934 - 1995
  • Majority of material found within 1950 - 1970

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

32 Linear Feet (56 MB, 3 OS)

Abstract

Adat Shalom Synagogue was founded as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944. The Adat Shalom papers reflect the activities of the congregation and its member organizations. Included in the collection are the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal and the papers of the office of the congregation's Executive Director.

History

Established as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944, Adat Shalom congregation was created as a result of the need of the Jewish community in the Northwest section of Detroit for a place of worship. From its founding in a vacant store on Yom Kippur night in 1943, the congregation grew. Temporary quarters were used throughout 1944. In 1945, High Holy Day Services were conducted at the Bagley School with 400 people joining in prayer and Rabbi A. Millgram of the Jewish Theological Seminary officiating.

With the great increase in membership during the 1944-45 year and through the generosity of its congregants, the congregation began construction of the first section of its synagogue on Curtis Avenue in Detroit. Also in 1945, the congregation joined the United Synagogues of America, officially becoming part of the Conservative Movement of American Judaism. The Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center lower wing was dedicated on December 14, 1947. The congregation changed its name to Adas Shalom in 1951, later becoming Adat Shalom. In the 1970s, the congregation moved to a new building in Farmington Hills, Michigan.

Arrangement

Arranged in 4 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-26), Series 2 (Boxes 27-50), Series 3 (Boxes 51-55), Series 4 (Boxes 56-59). Folders are arranged generally by type of material and subsequently arranged chronologically.

Acquisition

The Adat Shalom Records were placed in the Walter P. Reuther Library in the spring of 1997 by the Synagogue.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in September 1997.

Creator

Title
JCA: Guide to the Adat Shalom Synagogue Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1997-09
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 8-22-2017: One oversize box added and addendum to FA revised by A. Ergas, 8-22-2017; updated further and revised 2018

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA