Skip to main content

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Merrill-Palmer Corporation Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001066_corp
The papers of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation reflect the involvement of the Corporation in the operation of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from its inception in 1918 until its affiliation with Wayne State University in 1981.

Important subjects covered in the collection are: Board of Directors Head Start Program Board of Trustees Membership City of Detroit Merrill-Palmer Presidents Development Urban Family Educational Programming Wayne State University Faculty

Among the important correspondents are: Robert 0. Bland J. William Rioux Mrs. Edsel (Eleanor) Ford Robert Spencer Mrs. William Clay (Martha) Ford Mark C. Stevens Pauline Park Wilson Knapp Cleveland Thurber Fred Marblestone Peter Thurber Esther McGuinnis Mrs Lynn A. (Ruth) Townsend Willaim McKee Michael Usdan Francis Palmer Edna Noble White George Parker III Martha Wylie

Series Description: Series I, Corporation Records, 1916-1981: Correspondence, minutes, notes, and reports relating to the operation of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1916 to 1981.

Series II, Membership Records, 1926-1981: Correspondence, news clippings, and biographical material relating to the members of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation.

Dates

  • 1916 - 1981

Creator

Language of Materials

Material entirely in English.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Use

Refer to the Walter P. Reuther Library Rules for Use of Archival Materials. Restrictions: Researchers may encounter records of a sensitive nature – personnel files, case records and those involving investigations, legal and other private matters. Privacy laws and restrictions imposed by the Library prohibit the use of names and other personal information which might identify an individual, except with written permission from the Director and/or the donor.

Extent

14 Linear Feet (28 MB)

Abstract

The Merrill-Palmer Corporation was responsible for the administration and financial affairs of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. From the membership of the corporation a board of trustees and a board of directors were elected to oversee the operation of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. Throughout the sixty years that the Merrill-Palmer Institute existed as an independent institution, prominent citizens from Detroit and the surrounding metropolitan area served as members of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation.

The records of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation reflect its involvement in the operation of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from its inception in 1918 until its affiliation with Wayne State University in 1981.

History

The Merrill-Palmer Corporation was responsible for the administration and financial affairs of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. From the membership of the corporation a board of trustees and a board of directors were elected to oversee the operation of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. Throughout the sixty years that the Merrill-Palmer Institute existed as an independent institution, prominent citizens from Detroit and the surrounding metropolitan area served as members of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation. Established by the Wayne County Circuit Court on June 26, 1918, the Merrill-Palmer Corporation was formally approved and recorded by the county clerk's office on July 18, 1918. The Corporation was formed by the court to carry out the will of Lizzie (Pitts) Merrill Palmer who left three million dollars to establish a school for motherhood training. The first meeting of the corporation was held on October 30, 1918 and George L. Canfield, Tracy McGregor, and R. McClelland Brady were elected to be the first Board of Trustees to oversee the financial affairs of the Merrill-Palmer School for Motherhood and Home Training. The school was later renamed the Merrill-Palmer Institute. In October, 1919, the trustees hired the school's first director, Edna Noble White. The Board of Directors, responsible for the school's educational program, was established on November 21, 1919. In the 1940s, the Merrill-Palmer Institute began to experience a financial strain. As the programs and services were expanded dramatically in subsequent years, the problems increased. By the late 1970's, the financial problems became severe. In order to maintain its existence, the Institute affiliated with Wayne State University in September 1981.

Arrangement

Arranged in 2 series – Series 1 (Boxes 1-24), Series 2 (Boxes 24-28). Folders are arranged alphabetically.

Acquisition

The papers of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation were placed in the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs as part of the papers of the Merrill-Palmer Institute in January of 1982 and were opened for research in October of 1986.

Transfers

Eight photographs of members of the Merrill-Palmer Corporation have been placed in the Archives Audiovisual Collection.

Processing History

Processed and finding aid written by Walter P. Reuther Library in October, 1986.
Title
Guide to the Merrill-Palmer Institute: Merrill-Palmer Corporation Records
Status
completed
Author
Processed by Walter P. Reuther Library.
Date
1986-10
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Walter P. Reuther Library Repository

Contact:
5401 Cass Avenue
Detroit MI 48202 USA