- Existence: 1896 - 1993
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The microfilm collection is comprised of The Jewish American (1901-1911), official organ of Temple Beth El in Detroit, and The Jewish Chronicle (1916-1951), forerunner of The Jewish News and The Detroit Jewish News.
Abstract Philip Slomovitz, often referred to as the dean of Jewish-American journalists, had a prolific career. He founded The Jewish News in Detroit in 1942 and for almost fifty years used the paper as a vehicle to champion Jewish causes as well as promote amity among diverse peoples. He reported on many history-making events, both locally and internationally, keeping background files to aid him in his writings. It is these files and correspondence that make up the bulk of his papers.