Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Livonia Jewish Congregation was organized in 1959, later changing its name to the Cofngregation Beit Kodesh in 1990. Throughout its existence, the congregation held Shabbat services, maintained a religious school, and was active in numerous community and social service projects. The congregation disbanded in 2011. The Livnonia Jewish Congregation/Congregation Beit Kodesh Records include administrative records, bar and bat mitzvah records, Chai dinner booklets, legal documents, minutes, and...
Abstract The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives...
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...
Abstract The microfilm collection is comprised of The Jewish American (1901-1911), official organ of Temple Beth El in Detroit, and The Jewish Chronicle (1916-1951), forerunner of The Jewish News and The Detroit Jewish News.
Abstract Women's American ORT (WAO) was founded October 12, 1927, to assist ORT in providing financial support to the ORT program serving Eastern European Jews. ORT’s mission is to strengthen communities throughout the world through education. Glennwood, a chapter of Women’s American ORT Michigan Region, formed on April 3, 1962, in the Detroit area. It received its charter from New York and formed under the auspices of Town and Country ORT. Glennwood was named in honor of astronaut John Glenn, and at...
Abstract The Jewish Apartments and Services Records spans the years 1966 through 1999. It reflects the growth and development of the agency that provides residential services for senior adults in seven facilities. The Prentis and Teitel Apartments are located in Oak Park and the Hechtman and Meer Apartments in West Bloomfield, adjacent to the facilities of the then-extant Jewish Community Centers.The Apartments serve the Jewish community, primarily. However, they are non-sectarian. Various...
Abstract The Jewish Welfare Federation, later known as the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD), and its various divisions and agencies maintained files of minutes of their leadership meetings and collected material pertaining to their organization in scrapbooks. This collection includes the microfilmed minute books of the Jewish Welfare Federation, United Jewish Charities and the Detroit Service Group, as well as scrapbooks of the Jewish Federation and its Women’s Division, and the Hebrew...
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Abstract This collection of videos includes many JFMD activities and special events from the 1980s through 2013 including annual meetings, board of governors meetings, promotional pieces and interviews. It also includes videos from JFMD’s agency, the Agency for Jewish Education (AJE), including events and teacher conferences from the 1990s through 2006. All contents are videotapes unless otherwise noted (zip disk, DVDs).
Abstract Incorporated as the Jewish Old Folks Home in 1907 to provide housing for the homeless and those who no longer could maintain their homes, the Jewish Home for the Aged was at one time a state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Detroit Jewish community. After expansion to the northwest suburbs with two full-scale nursing homes, financial and management difficulties in the 1980s led to contraction of services. The majority of the records of the Home cover the creation and operation of the...
Abstract Robert Aronson began his career with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, serving as executive director beginning in 1983 and as executive vice president beginning in 1987. After six years of leadership with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, Aronson joined the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD) as Chief Operating Officer, a position which he held for twenty years. The Aronson years at the JFMD saw much change and evolutionincluding financing, expanding, and revitalizing facilities and...
Abstract Isidore “Soby” Sobeloff was born on August 30, 1894 in Baltimore, Maryland. From 1937 to 1964, Sobeloff was the Director of the Jewish Welfare Federation of Detroit. During his tenure, he made the Jewish philanthropic campaign in Detroit among the most effective in the United States. Sobeloff also served as Secretary of the Allotment Committee of the United Jewish Appeal (1942), President of the National Conference of Jewish Social Welfare (1944), and member of the Jewish Center Division...
Abstract Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service for the Detroit-area's Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. The JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII, when they worked towards the resettlement for Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social services for the...
Overview The Neighborhood Project was established by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit in 1986. Its purpose was to retain a Jewish presence in the Oak Park and Southfield communities threatened by the construction of Interstate 696 and demographic shifts. Interest-free loans were granted and a revolving fund was established to assist in home purchases and, later, to provide home improvement loans. The project was completed in 2003 when it was deemed that the neighborhoods were stabilized and...
Abstract The Vertical Files Collection is comprised of newspaper clippings, articles, pamphlets, public relations materials, and other ephemera related to the Reuther Library’s urban affairs and labor collections.