Central High School (Detroit, Mich.)
- Existence: 1858
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Central High School was originally located at the intersection of Warren Avenue and Cass Avenue in Detroit. It was the successor to Capitol High School, the first high school in Detroit, founded in 1858; Capitol changed its name to Central in 1896. CHS began to offer college courses in 1913, and this program evolved into the Detroit Junior College, which became the City College of Detroit, then Wayne University and eventually Wayne State University. In 1925, CHS relocated to 2425 Tuxedo Street...
Dates: 1860 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1891 - 2004
Abstract Helen Dushkin, maiden name Sachse, was born in Aranac County in 1896. Her family moved to Bay City and then to Detroit, where she would remain. Helen Sachse first attended Cass School (later Cass High School and then Cass Technical High School) and then Central High School. At Central High School, she earned top grades and gave speeches, including a commencement toast in 1914. This collection contains her written recollections from Central High School, as well as her report cards, student...
Dates: 1912 - 1984; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1948