Detroit Normal Training School (Detroit, Mich.)
- Existence: 1881-09
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1907 the Detroit Normal School Alumni Association planned a memorial for Harriet Scott. The memorial would be in the form of a stained glass window portraying the components of “teaching, knowledge, and education” and donations were raised starting in 1908. 283 individuals donated for a total of $863 including $200 from the Alumni Association. In 1910 it was decided the Church Glass and Decorating Company of New York would create the window, with a design from artist Charles Caryl Coleman....
Dates: 1908 - 2008; Majority of material found within 1908 - 1918
Abstract The Detroit Normal Training School was founded in 1881 by the Detroit Board of Education in order to train teachers for Detroit's public schools. The Normal School was renamed the Detroit Teachers College in 1920; in 1933, the Detroit Teachers College became the College of Education of the newly formed Wayne University.
Dates: 1919 - 1941