International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America
Found in 399 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 154 was formed in 1936 to represent Hudson Motor Car Company workers in Detroit until the company merged with Nash-Kelvinator in 1955 and operations were moved out of state. After the merger, Local 154 represented workers of the Special Products Division of American Motors where many former Hudson employees found work and Hudson retirees until it ceased activity in 1963. The records of the local document well its early years as well as provide insight into its growth,...
Dates: 1933 - 1963; Majority of material found within 1933 - 1960
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 157 was an amalgamated tool and die local on the west side of Detroit, serving numerous shops. The records of the local document it operations and relationships with various companies whose employees they represented.
Dates: 1936 - 1966
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 4
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 200 was formed to service employees at the Ford Motor Co. Windsor, Ontario. The records of the local document a 1951 strike, U.S. immigration problems, and UE relations with the Canadian Congress of Labour in 1950, among routine records of operations and activities.
Dates: 1962 - 1964
Abstract UAW Local 212 represented workers of the Briggs Corporation, an automobile supplier eventually purchased by Chrysler Corporation. There were numerous company and union conflicts as well as factional union conflicts which mirrored the struggles within the UAW at large. Their records document shopfloor conditions, organizing, elections, and contract negotiations in the various plants serviced by the local.
Dates: 1937 - 1965
Abstract UAW Local 216 was organized to serve as the bargaining agent at General Motors, Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac, South Gate, and California Plants. Materials in their records document their activities from the earliest days of the local, including the nationwide GM strike in the winter of 1945-1946 and Region 6.
Dates: 1937 - 1982
Abstract Local 230 is located in Bell, California (in the metropolitan Los Angeles area) and represents the employees of the largest Chrysler facility in the western United States. Local 230 obtained its charter in March of 1937 as a direct result of the sit-down strike of that same year. In 1938, Chrysler attempted to dissolve Local 230. Acting together with a group of anti-union employers and the District Attorney's office, many of the officers and founders of Local 230 were charged with conspiracy...
Dates: 1941 - 1967
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 239 serviced General Motors plant employees in Baltimore, MD. The records of the local reflect its activities as representative of Fisher Body Plant workers, before they merged with Local 678, Chevrolet assembly operations.
Dates: 1948 - 1969
Abstract Local 240 is an amalgamated UAW-CIO local representing salaried and office employees in Windsor, Ontario. This local was certified on March 17, 1944, as the collective bargaining agent for certain salaried and office employees employed by Ford Motor Company of Canada in its Windsor offices. The first collective bargaining agreement with Ford was signed in 1946.
Dates: 1938 - 1955
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 280 has served employees of the Continental Motors Corporation, Continental Aviation and Engineering Corporation and the Kaiser Corporation Detroit Engine Plant in Detroit, MI. The records of this local particularly document the problems which arise with the closing of a plant, such as the Detroit Engine Plant in 1954.
Dates: 1946 - 1961
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 5
Abstract Organized in 1941, Local 400 was located in Highland Park, Michigan for many years. In addition to servicing the Ford Highland Park Plant, Local 400 also represented Ford Facilities in Utica, Romeo, Mount Clemens, Chesterfield, and the Michigan Proving Ground of the Ford Motor Company. The papers of Local 400 reflect union activities from 1941-1966. The period covering the years 1942-1961 is particularly well documented in terms of executive board meeting minutes, plant-wide meeting minutes,...
Dates: 1941 - 1966; Majority of material found within 1942 - 1961
Abstract UAW Local 417 was chartered in 1945. The original charter was issued to Great Lakes Greyhound Garage in Birmingham, Michigan. An amalgamated local, its membership comes primarily from auto parts companies in Detroit's northern suburbs: Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Troy, Ferndale and Sterling Heights. Dean Spooner became President of the Local in 1963, and remained in office for the remainder of the period covered by this collection. Subjects include: auto parts plants in Detroit's...
Dates: 1954 - 1983