International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Stepp worked for nineteen years at the Chrysler Highland Park plant and advanced through positions of union leadership from shop committeeman, chief steward and vice president of Local 490 to the Chrysler-UAW National Negotiating Committee. In 1967 he was appointed international representative with Region 1B, was elevated to assistant regional director in 1973 and in 1974 was elected International Vice President, assuming Nelson Jack Edwards' spot on the union's International Executive...
Abstract The UAW Chrysler Department was formed in the year following the tumultuous sit-down strikes of 1937. Responsible of the department included planning, developing, negotiating, and administering collective bargaining agreements for Chrysler workers in the United States and Canada. The records of the department reflect its administration and activities and largely include the files of Arthur Hughes, an administrative assistant and assistant director in the department from 1940-1978.
Abstract UAW Local 417 was chartered in 1945. The original charter was issued to Great Lakes Greyhound Garage in Birmingham, Michigan. An amalgamated local, its membership comes primarily from auto parts companies in Detroit's northern suburbs: Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Troy, Ferndale and Sterling Heights. Dean Spooner became President of the Local in 1963, and remained in office for the remainder of the period covered by this collection. Subjects include: auto parts plants in Detroit's...
Abstract Douglas A. Fraser was elected UAW President in 1977 following the retirement of Leonard Woodcock. As UAW President Fraser presided over the emergence of Japanese auto imports into the previously US dominated auto industry, growing concerns over air quality, worker safety issues, and job re-training. In 1981 Fraser successfully reunited the UAW with the AFL-CIO after a 13 year absence. Fraser was also instrumental in assisting Chrysler Motor Company’s federal bailout loan to avoid the company’s...
Abstract Since the United Automobile Workers of America (UAW) was established as an affiliate of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) in August 1935, the union has maintained an office to deal with public relations. At that time, a "Committee on Publication" was formed, which became the "Publication Committee" in April 1936. The Committee subsequently became the "Publicity Department" in August 1936, when the UAW became an independent union affiliated with the Congress of Industrial Organizations...
Abstract An expanding economy and union movement prompted the UAW to subdivide its two southeastern Michigan regional jurisdictions into four southeastern Michigan regions—1, 1A, 1B, and 1E—in 1966. Subjects include: UAW organization in southeastern Michigan; automobile industry; strikes; unemployment; plant shutdowns; health insurance; retirees; organizing; political activity; UAW Women's Department; Willow Run Bomber Plant