International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America
Found in 76 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The UAW signed its first contract with Ford Motor Company in 1941 after years of confrontation between labor and management. They achieved many gains for Ford employees, including a pension plan, health care benefits, workplace health and safety protection, skilled trades recognition, a shortened work week, more paid days off, supplemental unemployment benefits, and a guaranteed annual income credit. Their records document department affairs under the leadership of Richard Leonard and Ken...
Dates: 1941 - 1981
Abstract Between 1985 and 1998, the United Auto Workers and the Walter P. Reuther Library cooperated in a project to document the careers of members of the UAW International Executive Board and important events in the history of the union. Collection consists of audio recordings, some video recordings, transcripts for 18 interviews, and a metal die of the UAW logo created for printing the transcripts. Past and current IEB members discuss their backgrounds; entry into the labor movement; early careers;...
Dates: 1985-04-30 - 1997-07-28
Abstract Local 32 represents employees of the White Motor Company in Cleveland, Ohio. The charter meeting was held on August 25, 1933 when it became Federal Labor Union 18463 affiliated with the AFL. The local played an early and important role in the establishment of an international union in the automobile industry. In September, 1935 formal application was made for charter affiliation with the International Union of United Automobile Workers of America. Subjects include: White Motor Co. (Cleveland)
Dates: 1933 - 1968
Abstract Local 230 is located in Bell, California (in the metropolitan Los Angeles area) and represents the employees of the largest Chrysler facility in the western United States. Local 230 obtained its charter in March of 1937 as a direct result of the sit-down strike of that same year. In 1938, Chrysler attempted to dissolve Local 230. Acting together with a group of anti-union employers and the District Attorney's office, many of the officers and founders of Local 230 were charged with conspiracy...
Dates: 1941 - 1967
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 5
Abstract Organized in 1941, Local 400 was located in Highland Park, Michigan for many years. In addition to servicing the Ford Highland Park Plant, Local 400 also represented Ford Facilities in Utica, Romeo, Mount Clemens, Chesterfield, and the Michigan Proving Ground of the Ford Motor Company. The papers of Local 400 reflect union activities from 1941-1966. The period covering the years 1942-1961 is particularly well documented in terms of executive board meeting minutes, plant-wide meeting minutes,...
Dates: 1941 - 1966; Majority of material found within 1942 - 1961
Abstract UAW Local 417 was chartered in 1945. The original charter was issued to Great Lakes Greyhound Garage in Birmingham, Michigan. An amalgamated local, its membership comes primarily from auto parts companies in Detroit's northern suburbs: Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Troy, Ferndale and Sterling Heights. Dean Spooner became President of the Local in 1963, and remained in office for the remainder of the period covered by this collection. Subjects include: auto parts plants in Detroit's...
Dates: 1954 - 1983
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 6
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 7
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 599 represented workers in the Buick plant in Flint, MI and is noted for its involvement in the anti-Martin struggles during the early years of its existence. The records of the local reflect routine operations.
Dates: 1936 - 1966
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 650 grew out of Local 182 in Lansing, MI representing Reo Motors employees. The local survived a company bankruptcy and reorganization in the late 1930s and early 1940s and numerous company-union conflicts in the post WWII period. The records of the local reflect its operations and activities upon behalf of its members.
Dates: 1937 - 1964
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 662 was organized to service the General Motors plant, Delco-Remy Division in Anderson, IN, absorbing the former UAW Local 146. Records reflect activities, including a women's auxilliary, that occurred mainly following the local's 1939 charter.
Dates: 1934 - 1969
Abstract Established in 1939 when the International Executive Board revoked the charter of pro-Martin Local 118, United Auto Workers Local 664 serviced members at Fisher Body, Chevrolet, and Prophet Company in North Tarrytown, NY. The records reflect the Martin controversy, strikes, conferences, and other activities of the local.
Dates: 1939 - 1961
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 678 originally serviced the Chevrolet plant and parts warehouse in Baltimore, MD. before merging in 1969 with Local 239, Fisher Body. The records relate to activities and operations prior to the merger.
Dates: 1940 - 1968
Abstract UAW Local 879 represents workers at the Twin City Ford Motor Company plant in St. Paul, Minnesota. It was chartered in 1941 following the recognition of the UAW by the Ford Motor Company. During the late 1940's and the 1950's, Local 879 participated in the Minnesota State CIO Farm Labor Relations Program. To demonstrate the relationship between farmers and labor, Local 879 and other CIO-affiliated unions set up booths and other displays at various Minnesota county fairs. Subjects include:...
Dates: 1940 - 1968; Majority of material found within 1942 - 1958
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 889 was chartered in 1940 to service white collar workers at Chrysler plants and suppliers in southeastern Michigan. The records of the local reflect the activities of its many units including Amplex, Auto Equipment Co., Hudson Sales, Kaiser-Frazer, King-Seeley, Tank Plant, Jefferson-Kerchival, Dodge Main, Marysville Parts, Mopar, Dodge Truck, and John R-Highland Park.
Dates: 1943 - 1965
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: U-V Box 14, Folder: 8-9