Wayne State University
Found in 273 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract This collection contains records regarding historic preservation on Wayne State University’s campus, as well as materials related to the development of areas directly surrounding campus. The collection holds memos and records related to the Historic Advisory Committee, Historic Designation Advisory Board, the Detroit Historic Designation Board, the Campus Beautification Committee, Woodward Corridor Development, and Preservation Wayne.Additionally, it holds the records pertaining to...
Abstract The University Committee on Honorary Degrees (Honorary Degree Committee) at Wayne State University was responsible for reviewing the candidates for, and determining the recipients of, various honorary degrees from WSU. Professor Leonard Leone served as both a member and as Chairman of the Honorary Degree Committee. A Wayne alumnus, Leone became the Director of the Wayne University Theatre in 1946 and a professor of speech in 1957. In the course of his career, Leone reopened the Bonstelle...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract Il Circolo Italiano, The Italian Club, was founded in 1932. Its purpose was to incorporate Italian into the Language Department of the College of the City of Detroit. Once this was accomplished, Il Circolo Italiano became an intellectual and social club. It was disbanded in 1936, reorganized in 1939, and again disbanded during World War II.
Abstract This collection contains files of the Wayne State University Information Center; represented subjects include millage campaigns, the Wayne University Foundation, Panel of Americans, Religion in Life, the Miles Poetry Room, scholarship funds, television programming, the Speakers Bureau, and the Program Planning Institute. Fund folders contain biographical data.
Abstract Stories featuring graduates were sent to their home town newspapers for the years spanning 1940 through 1968. Doctoral recipients include extensive biographical data.
Wayne State University Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff Records
Abstract The Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff (AMIDS) was funded by the United States Department of Education, Manpower Division, and sponsored by the University of Michigan-Wayne State University, Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations. The goal of the project was to improve professional skills of staff working with vocational education, manpower, economic development, and human resources programs. Public school personnel and government agency workers were targeted. Joseph V. Tuma,...
Abstract First organized as the Friends of the Hooker Scientific Library at Fayette, Missouri in 1938. In 1942 the Hooker Library was transferred to Wayne University and enlarged. It initially consisted of books and journals focusing on the subject of chemistry. Lectures given at the Frontiers in Chemistry Lecture series are contained in the collection from 1948-1967.
Abstract In 1971, The Center of the Administration of Justice was created as a part of Wayne State University’s Law School with a grant from the Kellogg Foundation. The Center was focused on the assistance of judges in Michigan, and it advocated for the development of research and evaluation projects. Moreover, the Center hosted conferences and courses in order to bring key leaders together. The director of the Center of the Administration of Justice was B. J. George. This collection contains course...
Abstract Charles Joiner was appointed Dean Designate of the Wayne State University Law School beginning on December 1, 1967, dividing his time between this position at WSU and his position as Associate Dean at the University of Michigan Law School. He assumed his duties full-time as the Dean of the WSU Law School on June 1, 1968, formally relieving the former Dean, Arthur Neef, of his duties. This collection includes general correspondence and student and alumni lists from the WSU Law School during the...
Abstract This collection holds journals produced by the Law School of Wayne University and Wayne State University. The Gavel, first published by the Student Bar Association of Wayne University in 1952, became The Wayne Law Journal in 1953 when taken over by the Wayne University Law School. When Wayne University became Wayne State University in 1956, the journal's name was changed to The Wayne State Law Journal; in 1962, it became The Wayne Advocate. This journal ended regular publication with Volume XI...
Abstract Student directories of the Wayne State University Law School. Collection is complete for the years 1959-1976; also included are directories for the years 1956, 1988, 1991, and 1992.
Abstract This collection consists of issues of the Wayne State University Library Science Alumni Association Newsletter.
Abstract This collection consists of newsletters and other publications produced by the Wayne State University Library Science Student Association.
Abstract The Library Science Department was included in the College of Education until 1984, after which it fell under the administration of the Dean of University Libraries. The department was then renamed the Library and Information Science Program in 1993, and in 2009 the Board of Governors created the School of Library and Information Science.
Abstract Alfred L. Nelson began his career at Wayne State University when he was hired in 1925 as Chairman of the College of the City of Detroit Mathematics Department. Nelson held the position of Chair until his death in 1960. The records include correspondence, committee information, education groups, and documents from the graduate school. The collection contains correspondence and other documents relating to Harvey Cohn, who was a professor in the Mathematics Department for a brief period at Wayne...
Abstract The medical history bibliography “covers material relating to the medical history of Detroit and includes references to Wayne County, Michigan, and the United States if they have any bearing on Detroit history.”
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, publications, and other files of the Miles Modern Poetry Committee.
Abstract Monteith College, which opened to students in 1959, was a college that grew out of the idea to offer Wayne State University students the experience of a small, experimental college within the larger university setting. Monteith College was intended to offer students a new approach to curriculum, independent study, and community spirit; this approach included small study groups, discussion groups among students, better availability of professors outside classroom hours, and enrollment of no more...
Abstract Monteith College was endowed by a Ford Foundation Grant. Its purpose was to provide general education in an innovative way. Monteith was an experimental college developed by the College of Liberal Arts to study whether a small college on a large university for commuters could provide a first-rate education for average undergraduates. The Monteith College Archives was created by Professor Paul Bluemle in c. 1967 to record the College's history and activities. The material was gathered from a...
Abstract The Office of Course Records and Changes handled all course proposals, any changes in existing courses, and dealt with any courses that would no longer be offered at Wayne State University. Materials in the Office of Course Records and Changes consist of memoranda, circulated lists of course proposals, new courses, and changes in existing courses from 1955 to 1960.
Abstract In October 1961, the University Office of Counseling for the Handicapped was established in the Division of Student Personnel, under the direction of Dr. William Knapp. Prior to the creation of this office, the work had been done by Miss Eleanor Bodewig, an academic advisor in the College of Liberal Arts. The purpose of this office was to guide Wayne State in the development and implementation of barrier free and handicap accessible accommodations, adaptive technologies, as well as...
Abstract These records of the Office of Graduate Studies include the minutes of Administrative Conferences and Advisory Committee meetings, correspondence, publications, faculty records, and documents relating to World War II and graduate studies, curriculum, and personnel.
Wayne State University Office of Information Services Office of the Director: Leontine Cadieux Records
Abstract This collection contains press releases from various events and programs related to Wayne State University from 1966 to 1985. These releases were produced under the direction of Leontine Cadieux and primarily concern the Division of Urban Extension.The Division of Urban Extension was established in 1964 and housed six different units. Of those, this collection focuses primarily on the College of Lifelong Learning and the University Center for Adult Education. The College of Lifelong...
Abstract The Wayne State University Office of Media Relations Publications consists of newsletters and pamphlets published by the Wayne State University Office of Media Relations (previously the Public Relations Department) between 1984 and 1997. The collection includes Monitor, a newsletter published in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, and 1997 during contract negotiations between the University and the American Association of University Professors (AAUP). Also included are Service Guidelines, Crisis...
Abstract The Division of Business and Finance was created in 1956 in response to an increasing demand on the Vice President and Treasurer as the University became a state institution and expanded its capacity.